VMware Cloud Community
gpin1120
Contributor
Contributor

Missing Tags in vCops 5.0

Hi,

We have just upgraded from vcops 1.01 standalone to vCops 5.0 standalone enterprise, but now I noticed some tags missing.

(There used to be a "Host system" tag in the environment overview that we used to filter, but now it's gone)

Have anyone experienced the same problem before, or know how to add the host tag back in the list?

Thank you very much:)

Phillip

0 Kudos
6 Replies
pgoel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It should be available under Resource kind i.e. in the Environment Overview -> Resource Kinds -> Host System

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you still have issues try using the process described in this KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201336...

This helped clear up a lot of issues when we migrated. I know a lot of people have had issues after migrating data from 1.0.1 to 5.0.

Good Luck!

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
0 Kudos
gpin1120
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the response!

I did notice the Host System tag in "resource kinds", however in our situation we are using "Heat Map" widgets where we need to monitor VMs on certain hosts; we used to do this by choosing the hosts from the "Host System" tag (in the heat map's configuration), but since we upgraded to 5.0 the "Host System" tag is not there anymore, now we cannot configure our heatmaps Smiley Sad

Best Regards,

Phillip

0 Kudos
gpin1120
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the KB article Jeremy,

I think it applies to the vApp version only though (we are using the standalone); what kind of problems did it solve for you?

Best Regards,

Phillip

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yup sorry I missed the "standalone" in your original post.

We migrated from the Standard 1.0.1 virtual appliance to the 5.0 vAPP Enterprise. We also imported data from Capacity IQ in the process. We had a lot of issues including but not limited to:

Certain resources showing as "restricted"

A duplicate instance of vCops was showing in the self diagnostics area

2 instances of the vCenter server in the datacenter we migrated were showing up, 1 was labeled correctly and the other was not

weird things going on with Tags and metrics

Certain resources were grayed out and not collecting data as well as certain metrics

I ran the script as described in the KB I provided and that resolved a lot of the collection issues and issues with restricted and grayed out resources. I also installed the most recent patch provided by VMware support which resolved a few issues. After doing a lot of reading about other users experiencing issues after similar migrations I decided it would save time to simply scratch the install and start over. I was losing about 6 months worth of data collected from a single vCenter instance but in the end it was the right call. A fresh deployment cleared up all the issues I was having before and now I can focus on fine tuning as opposed to troubleshooting.

This is why I recommend using the vAPP on a fresh install. Of course every environment is different and not everyone can take that approach. We have a mid sized virtual environment and are not currently using adapters for the physical side so we can easily get away with using the vAPP.

Sorry I couldn't help more but I do plan on standing up a stand alone instance of vCops in a lab just for personal knowledge. I do not work for VMware so it comes down to whenever I have the time.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
0 Kudos
gpin1120
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response!

I just found out that in vCops 5.0, the resource kind tag "Host System" is hidden by default (thanks to Iwan and the technical training material); to enable it simply go to "Manage Resource Tags" and check the Host Tag, then you will get your tag back.

Manage Resource Tags.JPG

Best,

Phillip

0 Kudos