VMware Cloud Community
LikeABrandit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Metrics Documentation

Hey all,

I was hoping to find someone that knew where some reasonably detailed metrics documentation for vCOPs might exist. I've tried searching quite a few times but come up with very little. I've reviewed both these without finding what I'm looking for:

vCenter Performance Counters
https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcops-5-getting-started-guide.pdf

The problem I'm having is that I can identify the vCenter counters thanks to the documentation, but what I see in vCOPs isn't always so easy to comprehend without something other than the metric name. For example, Disk > IO Usage Capacity is one that isn't so clear. Here's a screenshot of what I mean:

vCOPS_Metrics.png

Now it's obvious that it's related to Disk IO, but usage capacity? Is it a roll-up of total IO usage for a specific object over the collection interval, and if so where does capacity come in? Also curious if it is a rollup if there's a way to translate it to IOPS instead (outside the obvious manual calculation).

What I'm hoping is that I managed to miss documentation somewhere. If I can confirm it doesn't exist, I'll go ahead and submit it as a request, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be "searching for the keys in my pocket" so to speak.

~Brandit

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Use this doc for a description of vCenter adapter metrics:

ftp://ftp.integrien.com/VCOPS-VMware_Product_Adapters/VMware-vCenter/vCenter-Adapter-Install-and-Con...

Look to the bottom of the pdf for metric details.

Usually with the "usage capacity" metrics for disk and network, I've observed it pulling from the high watermark of the usage levels. Obviously there is an elaborate formula for it, but that's the general idea. Honestly, the usage capacity is leveraged for planning/cap planning and not used during your 'average' problem drilldown. I personally wouldn't pay it much mind during a drilldown/metric view unless for some reason you thought your current usage was approach the "capacity" and might hit the usage ceiling.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos