VMware Cloud Community
bzzc3m
Contributor
Contributor

Metric for "Number of Oversized VMs" by cluster?

I am currently using vROP 6.1 and I'm trying to put together a summary report (by cluster) showing total ovesized VM resources.  I can easily produce a view showing the Total vCPUs Provisioned, Recommended, and Reclaimable for the cluster, but I would like to include the Total # of Oversized VMs (that are powered-on) as well.  As far as I can see, there is no Cluster metric for the "Number of Oversized VMs".

I was able to create a super metric to count all VMs that are flagged as oversized ("Summary|Is Oversized") and apply that to the Cluster Compute Resource.  This works fine, but I cannot figure out how to count the oversized VMs ONLY if they are powered on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Ron

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MattG
Expert
Expert

Edit the View and choose to "Filter" the output with your Super Metric.

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
bzzc3m
Contributor
Contributor

Using the filter would work if the view was just getting a list of the VMs, but it is supposed to show the # of VMs (not the actual list of VMs.  If there was a way to limit the number of VMs in the detail report (like TopN, but with details), I would show the top 20 or so per cluster.  There is a report that details the oversized VMs, so this view was to be part of a Management report, which is why I was looking to provide some kind of summary.

Therefore, I have to have some kind of metric to just show the total number of "oversized" vms that are powered on.  Below is a sample of what I was hoping to produce.  The vCPU columns would need to be based on the oversized VMs.  Haven't been able to figure any way to do this...

eg:     Cluster Name          Oversized VMs (Powered-On)    vCPUs Provisioned    vCPUs Reclaimable

Cluster1                              65                                        250                          130

Cluster2

Thanks

Ron

0 Kudos