VMware Cloud Community
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Metric charts

I am looking to setup a dashboard that consists of an object list that is filtered to clusters (easy enough to do) that then has a widget interaction into a metric chart that lists all the hosts that is part of the cluster and displays the memory contention. I can do it with a health chart and it works for 80% of what i need.

The only problem with the health chart is you set the time frame within the config of the widget. You can then zoom in by selecting the time you want on the chart you want. Again this is great but there is no way to change the time frame of the widget unless you edit it which you cant do unless you are the owner of the dashboard.

Is there a way of adding multiple objects to a metric chart. i cant think of a way to do it as you cant change it to view children (hosts when i select a cluster)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's interesting that if the metric chart is configured as a self provider you can add multiple objects to it.  So I would think it could also be possible to do this using widget interactions, but I haven't found a way to make it work.

An alternative might be to use a trend view to show the host memory contention.  If you're on version 6.3 the trend view can show multiple objects, it can be populated by the object list, and the time frame can be configured on the tool bar.  It will show all the hosts on one graph though.  If you want them to be separate graphs like the metric chart or health chart widgets this probably isn't a good solution.  This view does have a nice feature where you can click the objects in the legend to easily hide or show them in the chart.

sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Trend view was an interesting idea but again 90% of what i want. The only think i dont like about the trend view is that all hosts are on the same chart window and not split into there own charts. Is a bit tiresome to find out what color the host line is when you have 36+ hosts in the cluster. Thanks for the idea tho

0 Kudos