VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

Memory utilizarion for vm

As I know and according to VMware documents we have to use memory utilization metric to monitor memeory usage but for Linux OS : imagine I have 16G memory on my Linux vm but in the OS
I see 8G memory is used for cache and just 2G memory is using but according to vROPS utilization it shows about 10G memory utilization . now want to know which vROPS' metric can show how much memory is already using without cache ?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

That is not possible. VROps doesn't look at what is consuming the memory. Memory Page used is a memory page used, regardless of the content of the page.

baber
Expert
Expert

So thanks. because I find different metrics for memory such as  Guest Active , Guest Active Memory , Guest demand , None Zero Active Can any of these help me? .

0 Kudos
Jimmy_Phillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think vROPs care how the memory is used on the OS level. All metrics memory are measured from the hardware level not OS level.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Do you think is possible to do  with install vROPS agent on the OS ? because I think after install agent we can use more metrics

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

AFAIK those metrics don't show what is accessing the memory pages, and even if they do, does it really matter? Memory used is memory used?

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Because memory utilization regarding cache is more than regardless cache and actually we need calculate memory usage without cache .

Is that correct ?

0 Kudos
JimmyPhillips
Contributor
Contributor

vROPs agents are not installed on the OS but the VMware tools makes it possible to monitor the application and services in the OS. There is also Application Remote Collector server that works with vROPs. I am not too familiar with ARC. Sorry.

0 Kudos