VMware Cloud Community
PeterCr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Memory reservations not affecting 'Virtual Machine Capacity' in Planning view vCOps5

Recently I deployed vCenter Operations 5 Enterprise and are doing some experiments with the capacity planning views on a test cluster.

Capacity & Time Remaining is set to 'U

'Usable Capacity' is configured to 'Use High Availability (HA) Configuration and reduce capacity'

HA is enabled on the vSphere cluster

When I adjust the memory reservations on VM's and going to 'Planning/Views/Virtual Machine Capacity' the Host Memory Remaining Capacity number does not change.

Shouldn't it take the memory reservations into account when calculating the Host Memory Remaining Capacity? Do I need to wait for a data refresh and how long should this take?

Grateful for any suggestions or methods of achieving this.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am sure someone can give you a very detailed answer to the calculation but my first thought was data refresh. I am pretty sure the analytics engine runs once every 24 hours. In our environment this occurs at 1am. Try again tomorrow and see if you numbers change and in the meantime I will try and track down the actual formula used. I remember reading about this somewhere just need to remember where Smiley Happy (probably on this forum lol)

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
0 Kudos
bparlier
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you look (starting) on page 8 at http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcops-5-getting-started-guide.pdf you will see the times the data is gathered related to thresholds and changes to metrics gathered. I would post a specific instance, but it would be better to scan over this doc to help you better understand the overall performance. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos