VMware Cloud Community
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Meltdown/Spectre

Due to these security alerts and looking at VMware Knowledge Base it gives a list of thing to do. One of them is

For each virtual machine, enable Hypervisor-Assisted Guest mitigation via the following steps:

1. Apply all security patches for your Guest OS which are available from the OS vendor.
  2. Ensure that your VMs are using Virtual Hardware Version 9 or higher. Upgrading a virtual machine to the latest hardware version (multiple versions) (1010675) discusses Hardware Versions . 
    • Virtual Hardware Version 9 is minimum requirement for Hypervisor-Assisted Guest Mitigation for branch target injection (CVE-2017-5715).

The question i have has anyone ever updated the hardware from the default v8 for vrops. and if so are there any tools updates to be done first?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I would wait on that. VMware is investigating their own virtual appliances and if virtual hardware should be upgraded. If so, they'll no doubt provide guidance. I saw a note on this yesterday or the day before from William Lam. That said, in one of my lab environments here I did upgrade my vROps 6.6.1 appliance from v8 to v9 and see no issues. There's no internal tools upgrades needed since you're not altering the hardware configuration, just the compatibility version.

0 Kudos