VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Meaning of "disk" counters in vROps

Where are the "disk" counters in vROps taken from? From inside the guest OS via VMware tools or are they taken from outside the guest OS at the virtual scsi adapter level?  Would they include p-mode raw device mappings?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The disk group of counters support metrics for I/O (input/output) performance (such as latency and read- and write-speeds), and utilization metrics for storage as a finite resource. This page includes documentation for disk I/O performance counters only. See Storage Utilization Counters page for information about storage capacity counters.

Disk-I/O counters support metrics for both physical devices and virtual devices:

• A host reads data from a LUN (logical unit number) associated with the physical storage media.
  • A virtual machine reads data from a virtual disk, which is the virtual hardware presented to the Guest OS running on the virtual machine. The virtual disk is a file in VMDK format.

Taken from Disk Counters [Disk I/o Counters] i think it is still valid

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The disk group of counters support metrics for I/O (input/output) performance (such as latency and read- and write-speeds), and utilization metrics for storage as a finite resource. This page includes documentation for disk I/O performance counters only. See Storage Utilization Counters page for information about storage capacity counters.

Disk-I/O counters support metrics for both physical devices and virtual devices:

• A host reads data from a LUN (logical unit number) associated with the physical storage media.
  • A virtual machine reads data from a virtual disk, which is the virtual hardware presented to the Guest OS running on the virtual machine. The virtual disk is a file in VMDK format.

Taken from Disk Counters [Disk I/o Counters] i think it is still valid

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ok thanks again

0 Kudos