VMware Cloud Community
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

MSCS VMs and snapshots

I have two VMs that are part of the MSCS cluster running on 4.0 u1 across two physical hosts. I am using physical compatibility mode as recomended by the docs.

My question is, can we take snapshots of VMs that are part of MSCS? Or we can only do that if they are using virtual compatibility mode (all nodes on one box)?

If taking snapshots is allowed, lets say I take the snapshot of node 1 and then revert it back 20 mins later, how will the MSCS react to this change and will it confuse node 2?

ANy input will be much appreciated... Thanks!

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is not recommented to take snapshot for VM's with RDM lunsie in physcial comatibility mode.

it you plan to build a cluster in a box with shared vmdk disk ,you can try taking snapshot but,the response for reverting back to the snapshot is depend on the application response to the change in data.in general i wouldn't recomment snapshot for MSCS clusters.

Regards

Manick

Regards Manic

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is not recommented to take snapshot for VM's with RDM lunsie in physcial comatibility mode.

it you plan to build a cluster in a box with shared vmdk disk ,you can try taking snapshot but,the response for reverting back to the snapshot is depend on the application response to the change in data.in general i wouldn't recomment snapshot for MSCS clusters.

Regards

Manick

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_mscs.pdf you can check it there ....

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

the snapshot details are not covered in this document.

the following discussion may help you for better understanding

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/308661

Regards

Manick

Regards Manic
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Snapshots do not affect RDMs in physical mode in any way. So if you take a snapshot, only the OS drive will be affected. You will also have to be very careful and should always be aware of what has been modified if you revert to a snapshot. In case of a MSCS cluster node NEVER take a hot snapshot, always move the resources to the other node and take the snapshot while the node is powered off.

Basically I agree with Manick, you should not really take snapshots of a MSCS cluster node. I'm almost sure that this isn't supported in any way either.

André

bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks guys, that was really helpful

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal
0 Kudos