VMware Cloud Community
kefoster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Lost connection

I have two 60 day evals running on two separate VC's.  They have been working fine the past couple of days but today both are not talking to the VC anymore.  When I went back to the console of the VM's they weren't sitting at the bluescreen but blak screen with a login page.  I attempted to login as root but both said no user or something like that.  I rebooted them both and they came up to the bluescreen and I could login.  I tried going back to VC and pulling it up and it didn't even show up in the VC anymore.  Went to enable the plugin and it says: "The following error occured while downloading the plugin from https://xx.xx.xx.xx./viClientConfig.xml:  The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error ovvured on a send".

I can't hit either of the ops via the web interface either.

Kevin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i'm certain with high probability that it's due to DNS, hope to hear good news from you on Monday.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please contact the beta support group with beta email you were given for support of your issue.  There were several issues like you discussed that were fixed prior to GA.

0 Kudos
kefoster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply but this isn't a Beta.  This an actual eval of the code that was released on the 14th.

Kevin

0 Kudos
j_ang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Kevin,

Are both instances of vCenter Operations registered with the same vCenter Server?

Is anyone of the vCenter Operations VMs on DHCP? If so, has the IP address changed?

James Ang | VMware Engineering
VMware vCenter Operations
VMware vCenter CapacityIQ
VMware Capacity Planner
VMware vCenter Guided Consolidation
James Ang | VMware Engineering | VMware vCenter Operations | VMware vCenter CapacityIQ | VMware Capacity Planner | VMware vCenter Guided Consolidation
0 Kudos
kefoster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for replying!

Two separate instances of VC and each has its own Ops manager.

Yes DHCP and neither IP has changed.

Thank you,

Kevin

0 Kudos
j_ang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Kevin,

From the machine where you have vSphere Client, use Microsoft Internet Explorer to load "https://xx.xx.xx.xx./viClientConfig.xml" (substitute with the appropriate IP address of the vCenter Operations VA).

Also, have you reviewed the following post to see if it is applicable to your situation?

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1718945#1718945

VMware Capacity Planner
James Ang | VMware Engineering | VMware vCenter Operations | VMware vCenter CapacityIQ | VMware Capacity Planner | VMware vCenter Guided Consolidation
0 Kudos
j_ang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oops. Forgot to say that the reason why I wanted you to try with Microsoft Internet Explorer is to confirm if we have a connectivity issue with vCenter Operations from the machine where vSphere Client is.

VMware Capacity Planner
0 Kudos
kefoster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will give this a try in the morning.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
kefoster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interesting development...

Today I am working from home and connected to a different system for my VI client.  I decided to try it out on this setup and both servers are working.  I won't be able to test the other system that is was broken on until Monday.

It appears to me that Operations manager is working at the server level but access from my work desktop via the VI client is broken.  Just wondering if that was possible.

Thanks for the replies,

Kevin

0 Kudos
j_ang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is certainly possible due to DNS misconfiguration that is only manifested at your work desktop but is not visible when you are accessing over VPN (I assume home --> VPN).

Another possibility is proxy (or transparent proxy) issues.

VMware Capacity Planner
0 Kudos
kefoster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will check out Monday.  Hopefully it is a simple DNS issue.

Thanks again,

Kevin

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i'm certain with high probability that it's due to DNS, hope to hear good news from you on Monday.

0 Kudos
kefoster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It does appear to have been DNS.  Made a couple of changes and all was good.

Thank you again for the replies!

0 Kudos