VMware Cloud Community
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

License only specific Clusters in vCenter

I'm hoping to find out if it is possible to restrict licensing usage for vRealize Operations to a specific set of clusters.

The reason this is required is that we have dedicated clusters for specific purposes, but managed by the same set of vCenter servers. Specifically we have ESXi clusters reserved for prod and preprod, in two datacentres, servicing cloud foundry environments. The other clusters which I do not need to monitor, are used for other infrastructure services and applications.

So in summary I'd like to be able to use vRO to monitor the clusters used for PCF only. Is this possible or would I need to license vRO for all clusters, including those clusters not managed by my team?

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

vRealize Orchestrator is included as part of vSphere and/or vRealize Automation entitlements.

So is you have vSphere license Standard or above (not Essentials) you are licensed for vRO.

0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can restrict vROps to specific clusters using vCenter permissions.  Use an account specifically created for vROps and assign it permissions to only the clusters you want it to collect data for.

I assume that by "vRO" you meant vROps.  vRO usually refers to vRealize Orchestrator, which is what KocPawel is most likely referring to in the previous response.

0 Kudos
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Go to: Administration tab -> Management -> Licensing.

Next choose "License Group" and create new group. While creating group you can choose license key, objects to include/exlude based on criteria or add object which should be always included.

And that's all.

0 Kudos