VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Interpreting vCOPS/vCenter stats

Hi,

I think I am quickly coming to the conclusion that what vCOPS is telling me in regards to resources is not always a good indicator of what is really going on.
Over the last week I had a few people asking for more CPU as they noticed bad performance. More often than not this is actually not the issue.

I have a few cases where the VM is peaking at 100% CPU (not necessarily for long). First thing I always do is use vCOPS and start generating some metric graphs. In these cases , the demand or usage in vCOPS is not anywhere near 100%. Even the peak demand is usually not anywhere near.

In one monitored case the demand usage was around 76% (30 min period). TOP showed that during this time the CPU had less than 1% idle

What explains the difference here? I know that vCOPS/vCenter gets its stats at 20 sec intervals so if it the CPU runs at 50% for 10 sec and 100% for the other 10 sec I would get 75% for the interval. Is this how it works? So the VM may perform poorly because it is actually running at 100% for half that 20 seconds. This VM was monitored through ESXTOP and %RDY and %CSTP times where pretty much non existing.

In another case I pretty much saw the same issue . 100% CPU in task manager  and low demand/usage in vCOPS and when we added a vCPU the VM was very happy.

I would like to confidelity say to people whether there is indeed an issue. Most of the time I do not have insight into the VM or the applications itself but I am worried I might give people the wrong impression when I show them the charts.

In all of the above there did not appear to be any underlying issues.

Cheers

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

i see a similar  issue. I recieve a lot of high cpu messages direclty from my vCenter. I changed the send message option to get a warning an error alert when the cpu value is above 75 or 90 percent for 15 Minutes.

I get a lot more messages from vCenter then any from vCops. I am very interested in whats going on there.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos