VMware Cloud Community
WebOps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installing VCOPS via web client 5.5 using the "home" icon fails

Hi

I have vcenter with vcops, for those unaware you get an icon to install the OVA using an icon on the home page (attachment) rather than installing it in the same way as you would any OVF/OVA

I've seen the official article and it makes sense, the problem is that to install the OVA I can't get past the wizard step 1a "select source" (see attachment) as it makes me sign in to my.vmware.com to be able to select where the OVA file is. When I sign in it says "the server requires a username and password" - I know my "my.vmware.com" account details, I've even signed on to it at the same time to see if it helps but it doesn't.

The official KB is here:

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

I fail at step 4.

I could perhaps install it the standard way to install any generic appliance but I wanted to do it the proper way, any clues?

Thanks

WO

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the myvmware account - it has to be the one entitled to purchase/download vSphere, not just "any" account.

hm... can you check the vSphere client log(s) for any further information?

0 Kudos
WebOps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi - yes the myvmware account is the one that can download it - I can download it manually and it is licensed but the installer just says "the server requires a username and password" regardless of whether I put the correct credentials in or not. I'm just revisiting the problem now and have the same issue, I've sent a support case to vmware to see what they say as I'm totally stuck - I can't see where that log entry would be for failed attempts to log into myvmware from the web console - I wonder does the vcenter server need particular ports open on the firewall to log onto vmware from within the web console?

0 Kudos
WebOps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

actually - it might not be a problem with the login... on reflection the choices are grayed out, so I have the choice of 1) entering a URL or 2) clicking browse - I thought those options would light up when I signed in but I guess it's because they are greyed out that I can't actually sign in. So the question is... why are they greyed out? See screen shot from before

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Log in to myvmware and download the OVA. Open the VI client or Web Client and deploy the OVA. No special handling of this OVA compared to any of our other appliances.. with exception of perhaps configuring an IP pool as a pre-req.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos