VMware Cloud Community
saurabh_agr001
Contributor
Contributor

In vCOps (vApp setup) After installing new adapter and adding adapter instance, Custom Dashboard widget does not show any inventory of added Adapter.

Hi,

I have install the new Adapter, and initiate the describe process. After installation, created the new adapter instance. Then the adapter now start collecting the resources which are mentioned in the describe.xml as the configuration.

After some time noticed that it is not collecting the resource which are configured with the Adapter. Tried with the restated the vApp( both Analytic and UI VM).

Then after that I had tried to re-packaging the Adapter build and install on the fresh vCOps application. After installation created the new adapter instance.

Now the resource collection process in working file and all the configured resource collected properly.

I did not modify the Adapter code and its configuration, but did not get the root-cause the issue.

Could any body suggest the reason of the issue. I had tried the old installation with 2-3 times re-booting the VM.

Best Regards,

Saurabh Agarwal

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It sounds like it may not have been a completely clean installation on the old installation. Did you increment the describe version from the prior version so it picks up your changes?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
saurabh_agr001
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my Custom Adapter with newly installed pak file of Custom Adapter.

I have made some changes in the previous installed Custom Adapter code and increment the describe version in the describe.xml.

I have packaged my adapter in the .pak file and installed to the vCOps 5.8.4 setup.

Installation was successful and it gives successful message. Then I have initiated the describe process. Here I am facing  two issues :

1. Describe process is getting failed.
  2. On other setup, I am able to execute describe  process successfully but In the environment overview page, I am not able to see any data collection for the newly created adapter instance.  

Here I want to add few observations :

Case 1 : My adapter code is using  a utility jar. I made some changes into the utility application and created new version of jar . This new jar version included in to the Custom Adapter.

When I am upgrading my Custom Adapter, both (old and new version) of utility jar files present in the plugin folder. During the collection process my adapter code is still referencing  to the old jar and throwing exception for un-availability of new method.

Case 2- If I removed any resource-kind from existing Custom Adapter and deployed new pack file, the describe process is getting failed. As per the logs, it is still searching for older resource-kind which is removed from new pak file.

Regards,

Saurabh Agarwal

0 Kudos