VMware Cloud Community
bevel
Contributor
Contributor

How vcops5 calculates the number of remaining available VMs in capacity remaining badge?

I had a datastore4(1497 GB) and 3 VMs (power on) on it, the used space of them were 221GB, 139GB and 15.04GB.

I click datastore4 object on the left hand side of the /vcops-vsphere web page.

The Capacity Remaining showed "DEPLOYED 3 VMs, POWER ON 3VMs, and 8 More VMs".

Then I created another VM (power on) on datastore4 which used space was 34GB.

24 hours later, the Capacity Remaining showed "DEPLOYED 3 VMs, POWER ON 3VMs, and 9 More VMs."

The information about deployed and power on VMs was not correct (should be 4), and and the remaining available VM number increased(8 -->9.

Thus , I was wondering when the object is datastore, how vcops5 calculates the number of remaining available VMs in capacity remaining badge?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It looks at the Avg size of all your deployed VM's. Thus is your avg VM size is 3 vCPU and 4Gb memory and you deploy a 1vcpu and 1gb memory it might not change the  VM Capacity Remaining Badge. (This is the very basics on the calculation..just to make the point clear)

(Think about it like this. If it states 8 More VM's....does that mean 8 more Large SAP servers of 8 more small web servers ? )

0 Kudos
zwphoenix
Contributor
Contributor

According to your answer, how we explain the remaining capacity to a people who not familiar with VCOPS?

It just shows remain "5" VMs, but no detail information about how the specification of the "5" VM is. I have to calculate it by myself.

It may confuse capacity team, ESX administrator find capacity issue, then CP team say VCOPS shows "5" VM remain.... 🙂

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

But what Hugo explains is not vcops-specific

you can just say that the values are calculated based on the average "size" of what's already deployed (on the ESX box).

when it says 5VMs you shouldn't treat that as an arbitrary value.

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

zwphoenix wrote:

According to your answer, how we explain the remaining capacity to a people who not familiar with VCOPS?

It just shows remain "5" VMs, but no detail information about how the specification of the "5" VM is. I have to calculate it by myself.

It may confuse capacity team, ESX administrator find capacity issue, then CP team say VCOPS shows "5" VM remain.... 🙂

The information is there - but you have to know where to look Smiley Happy

vC Ops not only understands the configured capacity in your environment, but more importantly the utilization of resources.  This may seem obvious but it's often overlooked when admins view capacity reports and badges (like the Capacity Remaining badge).

So, to begin with, you can understand the utilization rate averages for a parent object's child VMs by loking at the "Average Virtual Machine Profile" in the Views Gallery.  Below, this screen capture show the "average" VM resource utilization for VMs hosted in one of my clusters.

Capture.PNG

You may also want to look at the "Common Virtual Machines Configuration" view for a cluster to see how VMs are configured.

Next, if you want to get an understanding of the CONFIGURED capacity as well as the UTILIZED capacity (remember, vC Ops understands both) then you can kick off a "what-if scenario" where these details are provided in terms of a small, medium and large VM.  Note that not only does the "Population Details" panel provide configured capacity but also utilization rates!

Capture.PNG

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
wilber822
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thanks for all of your explanation!! it's give me some idea.

Okay, let me give a real world case:

Host memory utilization around 80% in my cluster in vSphere Client. (Host memory.PNG)

"Average VM profile" show memory deman per VM is around 9GB (Avg VM Profile.PNG), that's similar result like I did manually.

I also tried to add 10 VM with 4GB RAM and 100% utilization, result in "Add 10 VM.png"

Please see the "VM Capacity.PNG" and "Add 10 VM.png" which I highlight.

It is doesn't make sense for me....from vSphere Client it indicate we should add more memory, but in vCOPS, we can add another 1000+ VMs!!!

https://www.zhengwu.org
0 Kudos