VMware Cloud Community
koit12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to use objects in a Custom Group as objects to "always exclude" in another Custom Group?

I'm unable to use objects in a Custom Group as objects to "always exclude" in another Custom Group.

I've created a Custom Group that contains all VM Templates in our environment.

In another Custom Group I want to always exclude the templates in the previous Custom Group.

It seems that vROps doesn't drill down in the Custom Group containing our Templates when it lookes for objects to exclude.

pastedImage_1.png

Is this a bug or a feature?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

A better way might be

pastedImage_0.png

This will remove the need for a specific group with templates. ( the cut off property is VM Template)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

First of you are only adding the group not its objects to the excluded list. Click the arrow to the side of the add and select the middle one

pastedImage_0.png

The problem is that this is a one off non dynamically updated way to exclude the VMs. You should use the membership rules to do what you need

I created a group with templates in them called test templates and created the below

pastedImage_1.png

This way if i update my templates group it auto updates my all vms list to exclude template VMs. Change the vsphere world to what ever you want

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

A better way might be

pastedImage_0.png

This will remove the need for a specific group with templates. ( the cut off property is VM Template)

0 Kudos
koit12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer.

I was thnking of excluding the templates in the search query itself, but I have a lot of  "or"-queries in my original group.

I thought an easier approach would be to create a new custom group with all the templates and exclude that one.

Guess I have to do it your way 😉

Thanks again for you help.

0 Kudos