VMware Cloud Community
BenJ_UAlb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to migrate data from proof of concept to next stage in System Development Lifecycle?

I've skimmed the vROps 6.2 documentation, googled, etc.. but I need a little assistance.

My "proof of concept" 2 node HA cluster is working great.  But I need to rebuild it; I don't want to lose the 6 months of data I've collected.

My initial build used the "small" and this one I will to use "Medium" virtual appliances.

FSDB migration of data? Is that what I need to investigate?

How can I move all of the collected historical data from a working cluster into a new cluster?

Thank you for any assistance.

Kind Regards
Ben

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oulyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Currently migration of data betwen two 6.x instances is not supported and it's no tool to do that.

You might consider to expand existing cluster adding new nodes with medium size and than decommission old nodes. That is also something that is not in the GSS approved list but technically it works and as son as you bring your cluster back to include nodes with the same size you should be on the safe side.

Regards, Oleg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Do you need to deploy a new cluster? If all you want to do is deploy a new cluster just to make it bigger you could increase the number of nodes and or the specs of the nodes from small to med or large. That way you will keep the data.

http://www.definit.co.uk/2016/04/vrops-what-if-i-want-to-scale-up/

0 Kudos
BenJ_UAlb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for taking a moment to read my question!

Completing  in-house documentation for the build process.  Cluster is working great - just an interative build - and within the 6.2 documentation center, I don't see the same content level of details I found in 6.01.

Cheers

Ben

0 Kudos
Oulyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Currently migration of data betwen two 6.x instances is not supported and it's no tool to do that.

You might consider to expand existing cluster adding new nodes with medium size and than decommission old nodes. That is also something that is not in the GSS approved list but technically it works and as son as you bring your cluster back to include nodes with the same size you should be on the safe side.

Regards, Oleg

0 Kudos