VMware Cloud Community
mrchrisp
Contributor
Contributor

How to fix Fault - "vCenter Health Service - Health information is missing"

Hi there,

I have just deployed vCenter Operations Manager 5.6 and am getting the following Fault on two different vCenter 4.0 U2 instances;

com.vmware.vc.VCHealthStateChangedEvent
   Alert Information        

Fault criticality:   Critical
      Resource type:   vCenter Server
      Resource name:  vCenter - 4.0 Prod
      Parent name:   World
      Event time:   13:56:51
   Event Source Details
      Event source:  vCenter - 4.0 Prod
      Source event object name:    vCenter - 4.0 Prod
      Source event name:   com.vmware.vc.VCHealthStateChangedEvent
      Source event status:   vCenter Health Service - Health information is missing.

I am not getting this error from a vCenter 5.0 instance which vCOPs is also registered with. I have tried clearing the alert on one of the vCenters but it comes back. I have tried restarting the vCOPs service. On both vCenter's I am not seeing any alerts or warnings for service status.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have a corresponding alarm (Health status monitoring) triggered inside the VC?

If "yes" you can tune the "Health status monitoring" alarm at VC level inside the VC client not to trigger Alert when the state is not available.

0 Kudos
mrchrisp
Contributor
Contributor

I have checked both VCs and there are no Health status monitoring alarms trigger.

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The fault is caused by some problem in your VC setup. That *health* which it refers to is generated/tracked by the VC itself, not the vcops.

Please refer to the attached snapshots from VI-client, that's where you should look at.

It should all be "green" there, then the fault in vcops will go away.

hope that helps.

0 Kudos
mrchrisp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help. I've checked that and it is all showing as green, see attached. Any further thoughts?

Chris

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

try restarting the  "vmware virtualcenter management webservices" as well.

in general, *Faults* are triggered by events which are reported by VC itself;  e.g. they are not calculated or predicted by vcops.

do you have similar event in the list of events @VC, when viewed by VI-client?

--------

another way to searchfor that corresponding event in VC is via MOB:

Go to https://address/mob, click on content, then on EventManager. Click on QueryEvents link and paste the below in the EventFilterSpec:

<filter xsi:type="EventFilterSpec">
  <eventTypeId xsi:type="xsd:string">com.vmware.vc.VCHealthStateChangedEvent</eventTypeId>
  <!--array end-->
</filter>

it should show the last events of that type generated by VC

0 Kudos
rchandran
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you post the support bundle?

You are seeing the fault because vC Ops is unable to connect to the vCenter health service. This is certainly strange as I see your screenshot of the health page in vCenter.

The vEnter adapter logs should have more informaiton on what error was encountered dyring connection attempt.

0 Kudos
rchandran
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you clear the alert, it should really not come back up unless there is a chnage in the message of the fault. It will however, appear again if you restart vC Ops services.

0 Kudos