VMware Cloud Community
Ashish1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to create alerts to check hosts and VMs configuration using vROPs

Using vROPs I am planning to create a dashboard where I want to check hosts and VMs configuration. If the configuration is not matching with the required details mentioned by me then it should generate alert.

Below are 4 examples for which I want to configure alerts:

1. To check RX descriptor in host
    1. Connect to ESXi host CLI
    2. Execute command ethtool -g <vmnicX>
    3. From the command output verify Current Rx value is equal to 2048
  2. To check queue pairing in host
    1. Connect to ESXi host CLI
    2. Execute command vsish -e get /config/Net/intOpts/NetNetqRxQueueFeatPairEnable
    3. From the command output verify Current value param value is 0
  3. To check VM CPU reservation configuration
    1. Log in to ESXi host using vSphere client and go to "Edit VM Setting" option for VM
    2. Go to "Resource" tab and select CPU
    3. Verify that "Reservation" is full. It MUST  be equal to number of vCPU multiplied by processor speed
  4. To check VM memory shares configuration
    1. Log in to ESXi host using vSphere client and go to "Edit VM Setting" option for VM
    2. Go to "Resource" tab and select Memory
    3. Verify that "Shares" is High

Questions:

1. How to configure alerts for such VMs and hosts configuration validation?

2. Can we run a script/command from vROPs which will execute on ESXi server, to check such configuration validation?

3. Is there any alternative solution for this kind of work?

How can I do this using VMware powerCLI?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Ashish,

I hear that you wanted to first fetch the results of each query from the host and then compare with the threshold/expected value ?

I do not think that we can do it as we do not have any repository to store the values for comparison. However you can create a custom alerts wherein you can modify the threshold values like "Create an alert if the NIC flap occurs or if the NIOC values hits beyond 80% " Etc ( example)

I think you can try this with help of powercli by creating the sample report and then use lookup or compare commands

Thanks

JD

http://www.myitblog.in/
0 Kudos
Ashish1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found below article where we can push data programmatically to vROPs. 

How to programmatically push data in vRealize Operations Manager - VMware Cloud Management

So steps would be:

1. Gather all required information from vCenter Server using power cli

2. Create json file with all these data

3. Push this data to vROPs using REST API

4. Inside vROPs we can write Alerts based on Symptom definition and Alert Definitions.

So my question is, how can I get ESXi host configurations?

Example: vm-support is gathering all ESXi and VM configuration information. Similarly can I write programs which will gather hosts configuration information from hosts? 

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You might go at this from a different angle. Create a host profile and capture what a "normal" state resembles, then use a vCenter alert and regular host scans to see if anything deviates from it.

0 Kudos
Skmr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

are you can also take a quick look into performance tab on vCenter under host and play by changing dates

thank you,

Pkmr.

0 Kudos