VMware Cloud Community
ASavener2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to create alert (symptom definition) for modifying virtual disk size?

I've been able to create message event symptom definitions for modifying virtual hardware (Memory Size Change, vCPU Change, and Virtual Disk Add/Remove), but haven't been able to figure out a symptom definition for when a virtual disk is edited.

Any ideas?

Current symptom definitions:

Memory size Change:  Base object "Virtual Machine," Event type "Change," contains "Config Info Memory Size in MB."

vCPU Change:  Base object "Virtual Machine," Event type "Change," contains "Config Info Number of CPU."

Virtual Disk Add/Remove:  Base object "Virtual Machine," Event type "Change," contains "Config Info Number of Virtual Disks."

Even if I create a symptom definition that just looks for "Config info" I don't get an alert when changing the disk size.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ASavener2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Whelp, I figured it out (kinda).

Looks like the keyword is "Reconfigured."

Note:  I found it by creating a symptom definition "Event message does not match regular expression gibberish" and then modifying the disk on a machine.  Unfortunately, vROps doesn't seem to report what the actual configuration change was, the way it does when modifying vCPU, Memory, and number of disks.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ASavener2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Whelp, I figured it out (kinda).

Looks like the keyword is "Reconfigured."

Note:  I found it by creating a symptom definition "Event message does not match regular expression gibberish" and then modifying the disk on a machine.  Unfortunately, vROps doesn't seem to report what the actual configuration change was, the way it does when modifying vCPU, Memory, and number of disks.