VMware Cloud Community
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How to Define Unit Type for SuperMetric

With vROps 6.7 changes to removing all the allocation stuff (most anyway), I decided to go and try to build a supermetric for available memory in a cluster after taking the HA memory reserve percentage into account so I could add it to the new Allocation Details View.  I have the supermetric working but I don't know how to define the unit type within the view.  The option is grayed out and shows "Not Applicable".

Anyone know how to do this?  I'd like it to show up as GB next to the number in the View.

If interested, here's my supermetric btw-- warning, she's a long one.  feel free to offer a better way!

sum((${this, metric=mem|host_provisioned}-(${this, metric=mem|host_provisioned}*(${this, metric=configuration|dasConfig|admissionControlPolicy|memoryFailoverResourcesPercent}/100)))-(${this, metric=mem|memory_allocated_on_all_vms}))/1024/1024

Here's the formula I came up with for the above:

sum((t-(t*(r/100)))-a)/1024/1024

where -

t = Metric | Memory | Total Capacity (KB)

r = Metric | Cluster Configuration | DAS Configuration | Admission Control Policy | Memory Failover Resources Percent

a = Metric | Memory | Memory Allocated on All VMs (KB)

Supermetric applied to the Cluster Compute Resource object type.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

afaik, you cant do that for super metrics

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk
0 Kudos
aaghabekyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately it is not possible

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

This is what i did to get it to GB. I didnt use the DAS config as we have different configs for different clusters but this calc i wanted to remove 1 host capacity from all clusters with no overcomite

The only way to get the unit type is to have the SM do the conversion for you

For GB

(((${this, metric=mem|host_provisioned}-(${this, metric=mem|host_provisioned}/${this, metric=summary|number_running_hosts}))*1)-${this, metric=mem|memory_allocated_on_all_vms})/1048576

For TB

(((${this, metric=mem|host_provisioned}-(${this, metric=mem|host_provisioned}/${this, metric=summary|number_running_hosts}))*1)-${this, metric=mem|memory_allocated_on_all_vms})/1073741824

0 Kudos
nmanm0305
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I accomplished this is a round about way. I put my Super Metric into scoreboard and then set the measurement unit there.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos