VMware Cloud Community
samr92
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How retrieve the value of a metric on a specific period using VROPS 6.1 ?

Hello !

Is there a way to retrieve in a metric, using supermetrics for example or any other means, the value of a metric on a specific period ?

For example, i would retrieve the CPU's average utilization of my VMs during the last hour with VROPS 6.1 ?

How could i make that please ? :smileyconfused:

Regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aaghabekyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately You are right  such functionality (apply the calculation on a specific period) is not supported.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Select the VM (or search for it), click "Troubleshooting" and then "all metrics". Select the CPU parameter you need and adjust time.

You could also do it as a "View" or via API calls.

A quick guide to using "Views" look here: Troubleshooting with vRops part 3: Object Level Metric - Michael Ryom

If you do create a "view", all you need to do is set the time period, change "transformation", and select the right metric.

The API(The hard) way take a look at this: vRops API consumed with Powershell - Michael Ryom

Hope this helps

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk
samr92
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks you very much Michael for you answer, but the objective of my request is to retrieve this value in a metric in order to trigger an alert if the CPU utilization of a VM exceeds the average utilization CPU of the same VM the last hour.

Firstly i tought about using supermetrics, but if i'm not mistaken, it's impossible to apply the calculation on a specific period. So i have'nt any idea.

I hope to be clear

Regards

0 Kudos
aaghabekyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately You are right  such functionality (apply the calculation on a specific period) is not supported.

MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The API can do that - But you are not going to have the data/alert in vRops then...

I'm not sure what/why you want an alert for CPU have changed hour by hour ?! I don't think what your are trying to do is possible out of the box.

But if you could elaborate on the reason for doing monitoring of CPU usage, I might be able to find another way,

/Michael Ryom

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk