VMware Cloud Community
johnw230873
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How can I set different trigger values for Different disks on the same server

I have a couple of servers where the D drive is normally almost full and are different to the rest of our servers, I thought I would be able to create a custom "Symptom " which the normal conditions  having a higher percentage and one condition being the drive letter, then it would be just a matter of using a custom policy. I can for the live of me see how I can see what drive letter is triggering the alert to add it to the Symptoms.

Has anyone else done this before , say had C drive the normal 85,90,95 and then a custom  setting for another drive (disk) on a Virtual Machine?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think you can. But I guess you will have to disable the default alert and create a new one. As for the symptom you should just use the disk % usage of the drive letter in question. Haven't had time to try or test it, but it should be doable that way.

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk
0 Kudos
johnw230873
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's what I would have thought but I cant see where I can select or filter the alert on a particular drive letter

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

create the symptom as you need it

disk space.png

If this is only for a specific group of VMs and the only different setting from the main policy then i would suggest that you create a new policy (as a sub policy) of the active one or create a new one of the base policy (depending on how you have the policies set up).

Create a custom group and assign the new policy to it and add the vms that you want the alert for to the group.

Again depending on how you have your policies you may need to disable you alert deff from other policies

under symptom deff filter for the name (in my case d:) and change the state as needed.

disk policy.png

Again depending on your policies you may need to move the new one up the priority list for it to affect the objects.

The above is just for the c: and d: as this is the default that vrops will show. if the server has more disks than that click the gray box (select object) when creating the symptom deff and select a VM that has more than the default two disks. In my case it has an e:

disk e.png

disk e2.png

0 Kudos