VMware Cloud Community
K_A1
Contributor
Contributor

How can I get a report of stats of a group of VMs

Hi,

What I want is to get the CPU and Memory demand of a group of filtered VMs, and report them in two charts (i,e one CPU graph showing the cumulative CPU demand of all VMs in that group, and the same for the Memory graph) on vROps

The VMs need to be flitered as VMs where reside on datastores with names ending with "R" (like Datastore1R)

I thought about putting all filtered VMs under respective respurce pool on vsphere server, then get the resource pools' report. I prepared a custom group for those resource pools on vROps. But couldnt succeed to get the reports I need..

My vRops version is as follows

Version 6.2.0.3528905

Build 3528905

Can you help me on that?

Thanks

SL

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

I do not know of a way in vrops to group VMs by the datastore they are on. The relationship is in vrops but for some reason it is not exposed as a metric/property against the VM object co creating a group or filter to show all the vms of datastores ending in R is not possible.

The only way i can think of it it to add a vsphere tag and add it to the Vms that are on the datastores you need to group together in vcenter. You can then create a custom group in vrops that uses the vsphere tag as its membership rule.

Your next problem will be getting the cumulative demand against an container object (the custom group) I have not done this but i think your only way is to create a super metric to sum all the CPU/memory demand and use it as a container object will only report badge metric and super metrics.

If a list of the objects within the custom group with a summery at the bottom would do then create a list view using the custom group as the filter.

I personal cant think of another way to do this and even if the above will work.

K_A1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you sxnxr.

It looks pretty complex to me even while I am reading.. I doubt using vROps is the correct way of doing this task, anyway.

I will try on your advices. thanks again

0 Kudos
K_A1
Contributor
Contributor

When I try to form a supermetric, I cannot see the metrics I need (like CPU, Memory) for the containers I created:

pastedImage_0.png

I cannot see them either, when I try to prepare a report out of them. What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos