VMware Cloud Community
fergusonmark
Contributor
Contributor

How can I account for VM's that are Virtual Appliances vs full OS?

Does anyone have a good way to identify vm's as an appliance vs full OS in a vROps report?  For example, we have over 500 RHEL vm's with well over 100 of them being virtual appliances not subject to the same licensing as the full OS instances.  I have looked at them a couple different ways but can't figure out how to distinguish between them in vROps.  When we look in vCenter, we see vApp details for virtual appliances but I can't find any property to key off of within vROps.  Any ideas?

I found a powercli script but not the same as vROps... @ https://www.brianjgraf.com/2016/09/22/new-powercli-function-get-deployedproduct-returns-a-list-of-pr...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't see any virtual appliance properties for this in vROps.  You could use PowerCLI to add the vApp properties to the VM as custom attributes or tags.  Both are available as properties in vROps.  I'd use custom attributes because they are separate properties in vROps, found under Summary|Custom Tag|<name>|Value.  vSphere Tags are all combined in one property under Summary|vSphere Tag.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Agree with dtaliafe here. There's no native way for vROps to distinguish between "appliances" and plain VMs. Using some external method you would have to apply some metadata to those appliances and group them as such in vROps.

0 Kudos