VMware Cloud Community
zwphoenix
Contributor
Contributor

How Total Capacity(VM) number comes out in Planning tab?

Hello,

I have three quoestion:

1. Select a cluster -> Planning -> Views tab -> select Virtual Machine Capacity. "Total Capacity(VM)" of line "Host Memory", the number is 1526VMs.

I assumed it comes out base on average configured vRAM of VM in the cluster.

We have 334 VMs in the farm, total configured vRAM is 3859276MB, average vRAM is 11.28GB per VM.

Total physical memory is 3932.16GB in the cluster, base on vCOPS number 1526VM, average vRAM is 2.58GB per VM.

The two number is not similar...How this capacity number comes out?

2. Why the "Total Usage" of "Host Memory" is 110%??

3. Capacity number is calculated by average configuration, it is really confuse for a people who are not vCOPs expert, is it possible indicate "Capacity number calculated base on average VM configuration (vCPU 2, vRAM 2GB..etc)"?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I replied to your similar question in another thread.

vC Ops uses both configured capacity and capacity utilization rates to make recommendations for optimizing your environment.

Question 1 - You are comparing the configured capacity in your environment to the recommendation which is based on utilization rates for vRAM.  Basically, vC Ops is suggesting that you have a lot of oversized VMs and you can easily overprovision that cluster based on actual memory utilization.

Question 2 - I believe you will find that is due to oversized VMs (for memory)

Question 3 - From the "Help" button in vC Ops.... You may wish to read Planning the Resources in Your Virtual Environment > How vCenter Operations Manager Calculates Metrics for Summaries and Views

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
wilber822
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello jddias,

I'm appreciate for your answer!!! That's really what I need.

So looks like vCOPS trying to say "we should reclaim memory from VM instead of add more physical memory" 🙂

https://www.zhengwu.org
0 Kudos