VMware Cloud Community
rgcda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Health from child objects not rolling up into Health of parent objects

I've setup several applications in vROps 6.0.3.  I've placed objects into the application that make up the application like the virtual machine, the hyperic agent, SQL if the hyperic agent is on it, and several other items.  I monitor several Windows Services with they Hyperic agent.  When a monitored service is down the health metric for the Hyperic Adpater object type of Windows changes from 100% (fully available) to a lower number indicating there is an issue.  Why doesn't this health metric get rolled up into it's parent which would be the applications health metric.  What I see is that the application is always 100% even though I could have all the windows services that make up this application down.  It doesn't make any sense to me how this health metric is determined.  Shouldn't the health of all the objects in an application determine the health badge of the application?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need to create symptoms/alerts that impact 'HEALTH' at the parent level. This change of how health is rolled up was a change in v6.x. Apply that alert that impacts HEALTH at the application level from it's descendant objects for the symptoms you've got in mind, and you'll see health start getting impacted at the top level.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos