VMware Cloud Community
PDW888
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Graphing VM size per datastore?

Hi,

I'm interested in creating a dashboard to illustrate space growth on a datastore but per VM as apposed to the whole datastore.

I'm trying to help track down when the used space on a datastore jumps by illustrating the changes in virtual machine size, e.g. which VM is responsible.

Ideally I was after a graph with all VM's from the selected datastore but I've been through a variety of different dashboards and nothing seems to provide the data I'm after. 

Is there an easy way to display this type of data?

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The example I gave was dynamic. You'd be populating the graph from a widget of VMs. That widget of VMs would be populated by selecting a datastore.

You'd have 2 resource widgets and 1 graph widget. The self provider, datastores, will simple be a list of RK filters DSs. The next resource will recieving an interaction from the DS resource widget, and will display the "parent" and also filter via VM RK. When you select the VMs, perform a multi-select interaction and it'll populate over to the graph widget. Then just manipulate it from there.

If you want to get fancy, don't bother with a Resource interaction file, and throw a metric selector between the VM resource widget and metric graph, then you'll pass multi select interaction to the multiselect and thus to the metric graph.. this way you're not stuck to display only a few attribute kinds in the RIF.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There are a few ways you can do this.

One being if you have the Custom UI - you could add the VMs on that datastore, specifically the virtualmachine space used, to a Metric Graph. Configure the graph to be a stacked graph. Switch the time period to ~30 days and you'll see who's growing in relation to the rest of the bunch.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
PDW888
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply Mark.

That approach would work but the only hesitation I have is the quantity of VM's per datastore is changing quite frequently so would have update that dashboard regularly.

Was curious as to whether it can be driven from a resources element, so from a list of datastores choose one to feed the stacked graph (or similar) showing space per VM on that datastore?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The example I gave was dynamic. You'd be populating the graph from a widget of VMs. That widget of VMs would be populated by selecting a datastore.

You'd have 2 resource widgets and 1 graph widget. The self provider, datastores, will simple be a list of RK filters DSs. The next resource will recieving an interaction from the DS resource widget, and will display the "parent" and also filter via VM RK. When you select the VMs, perform a multi-select interaction and it'll populate over to the graph widget. Then just manipulate it from there.

If you want to get fancy, don't bother with a Resource interaction file, and throw a metric selector between the VM resource widget and metric graph, then you'll pass multi select interaction to the multiselect and thus to the metric graph.. this way you're not stuck to display only a few attribute kinds in the RIF.

0 Kudos
PDW888
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that Mark just what I was after.

0 Kudos