VMware Cloud Community
phelmer
Contributor
Contributor

For alerting, what can vCOPs give me that I can't get from vCenter or Patrol for Virtual Server?

Utilizing vCenter and Patrol for Virtual Server for monitoring.  Now have vCOPS and looking for alerting opportunities from vCOPS that will not overlap with what I get from other tools or areas where I should use vCOPS instead of the other tools.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LikeABrandit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey phelmer,

I'm not familiar with Patrol, but in comparison to vCenter as far as alerting vCOPs has a ton more capability there but you're right to consider overlap. It takes some learning and tweaking to get it the way you want it, but vCOPs can monitor things such as capacity, health, workload, etc. Those are the new areas you'd be likely to want alerts on.

For example, for reasons specific to this environment I'm working in at the moment, I've set up vCOPs to only report critical alerts on Workload, Anomalies, Capacity Remaining, Stress, and faults, like so:

temp.png

I then configured notifications to only send out on critical alerts, and for example I just got an alert yesterday on a cluster that's over capacity by 2 VMs due to overall CPU use. Thankfully I was aware of this ahead of time and was already working on a solution but it's those kinds of things that vCenter just can't do. You can of course change all these thresholds and customize your alerting for each part of your environment.

~Brandit

0 Kudos