VMware Cloud Community
KimPedersen
Contributor
Contributor

Finding VMs running on Host

Hi all,

We are using vRops 6.6.0 and I have the following request:

We want to be able to find the VMs running on a specific host at a specific time. We want use this for finding the VMs running, when this host might crash (e.g. purple screen).

I have been able to create a dashboard, which displays the VMs running on any host in our environment, but I haven’t figure out how to use “time” as kind of input to this. We might

want to go back in time.

Is this possible at all and how ????

Any help would be highly appreciated – thanks.Smiley Happy

Rgds, Kim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

It can be done but i dont know how to do it better than a 24h window

Create a view that has Vms as the subject

add in the parent hiosts property as the data

create a dashboard with an object list filtered to the cluster you are interested in ( or all clusters)

Add a view widget and add the view created above

Do the widget interactions and have the object list feed the view

When you click the cluster it should show you all the VMs and there parent host.

Click the eye on the view and that will give you date control and you can change it to the day before the crash. This will update the parent host to what they were on that day

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

PS upgrade to 6.6.1 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Just thought you could select a VM from the environment tab and add the parent host property and that will show you any hosts changes per VM down to the 5 min mark but would be a mit of a pain

0 Kudos
KimPedersen
Contributor
Contributor

HI

I have created the view and the dashboard. This is working just fine - I tried looking in the dashboard and then per formed a vmotion and waited 5 min and then then saw that it was moved 🙂

What we want to accomplish is to be able to create a list of servers when the host might crash and this should be possible if we just perform this when the crash occur.

I just exported it to excel and then created the list from there.

Thanks for sharing this info.

But you mentioned a 24 hour window - why ????

rgds,

Kim.

0 Kudos