VMware Cloud Community
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Evaluating vCOPS 5.7.1 - did they add a way to exclude specific datastores?

Hi,

i tried vCOPS in the past and i know this wasn't possible.

I just started a trial now but i still want to exlude all local datastores and a couple more which come from a filer that is always 99% full. These datastores are not used for VMs and should not impact calculations in vCOPS.

Is there a way to exlude them from calculations? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bouke
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In vCenter put all your local datastores in a folder, called 'LOCALS' (or something else you like) - this folder will also be known by VCOPS (might take 5 minutes). Then in VCOPS create a new policy and clone it from 'Ignore these objects'. On association page unfold 'folder' and add your 'LOCALS' folder. Check the "Current effective policy", it should be set to 'Ignore the objects'.

Now every time you add a host into vCenter, make sure you put that local datastore into the correct 'LOCALS' folder. This way you'll exclude them from calculations.

Oh no, another Virtualisation signature...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bouke
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In vCenter put all your local datastores in a folder, called 'LOCALS' (or something else you like) - this folder will also be known by VCOPS (might take 5 minutes). Then in VCOPS create a new policy and clone it from 'Ignore these objects'. On association page unfold 'folder' and add your 'LOCALS' folder. Check the "Current effective policy", it should be set to 'Ignore the objects'.

Now every time you add a host into vCenter, make sure you put that local datastore into the correct 'LOCALS' folder. This way you'll exclude them from calculations.

Oh no, another Virtualisation signature...
0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The more dynamic method is to create a dynamic group that populates datastores via a naming convention for local datastores. Then bind this "ignore these objects" policy to this group. To manually populate a vCenter folder every time you add a local datastore requires unnecessary administrative overhead. Typically local/host datastores are named uniquely anyway, so this shouldn't be a problem.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos