VMware Cloud Community
Admlshak3
Contributor
Contributor

Erorr when trying to reset the admin password

I'm trying to reset the admin password on our 6.5 appliance, when I run the command I'm getting this error:

localhost:~ #$VMWARE_PYTHON_BIN $VCOPS_BASE/../vmware-vcopssuite/utilities/sliceConfiguration/bin/vcopsSetAdminPassword.py --reset

Password:

Re-enter Password:

Saved existing admin user credentials into backup file

Call failed: Code 500 - HTTP Error 500: 500

Response: {"error_message_key":"general.failure","error_arguments":["1","passwd: Have exhausted maximum number of retries for service\n"]}

Original admin credentials restored from backup

I've checked that the account isn't locked out, and ran the unlock account command just to make sure, I don't have any sessions open to the appliance other than the one I'm running the command on. 

Not finding a lot of info on this error....

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Are you using the admin credentials for anything external into the vrops appliance e.g the EPOS agent, external scripts

0 Kudos
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Is the password one that has been used in the past? This can cause this error to appear as well.

0 Kudos
HarjitSB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

It seems the passwd is locked, Before resetting the Administrator password, ensure that the account is not locked out by running this command:

pam_tally2 --user admin

If the account is locked out, unlock it by running this command:

pam_tally2 --user admin --reset

Then To reset the Administrator password

Log in to the master node command line console as root and Run this command and follow the prompts:

$VMWARE_PYTHON_BIN $VCOPS_BASE/../vmware-vcopssuite/utilities/sliceConfiguration/bin/vcopsSetAdminPassword.py --reset

Rgds

-Harjit

vmwars.wordpress.com

Please mark as helpful, answered or at-least like if helped so solve issue in any way.
0 Kudos