stingrayX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dump vROps metrics for historical purposes

I am sure this question comes up every now and then, but allow me to ask once more.

Is there a way to "dump" all the metrics held inside a vROps cluster to be archived and eventually queried offline even after those objects do not exist anymore?

Let me explain better... we have a vROps cluster polling a few different vCenters, we are planning to deploy a brand new one and progressively migrate Clusters, Hosts, and VMs to this new vC.

My understanding is that the affected objects will disappear from the old vCenter collectors and re-appear under the new one as new objects. So we would lose all the historical data for those "old" objects. Is my assumption correct?

So, if I am right, is there a way to extract the data related to these objects before we migrate them to a new collector? This data would be kept aside for 6-12 months in case some user asks for metrics for a certain VM (or similar request). Is there any tool or recommended process to extract this data (and query it, if/when needed)?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

you terminology is a bit of and you could mean two things.

you are deploying new vcenters and migrating the hosts and clusters to it

What you can do is just before any migration just remove the adapter instance for that vcenter from the old vrops making sure not to delete the objects ( prompt when removing the adapter) that way the historical data will stay in the old vrops for the length of time specified in the global settings. It may also be a good idea to extend the deleted objects field to a longer time frame in the global settings also.

All you do is log into the old vrops for historical data and the new one for the more upto date data then when you are happy with the passage of time you can just delete the old vrops vaps

or you are not migrating vcenters and just want to deploy a new vrops and want to keep the old data in the old vrops you can

leave the old vrops as is ( still collecting from your vcenters) and in you new vrops just add the vcenters in. you can have 2 instances collecting from the same vcenter

if i am completely off let me know

0 Kudos