VMware Cloud Community
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does vCenter statistics level have impact on vCOps?

Currently all our vCenter statistics levels are set to #2.  Given level #3 has more counters, will it have any impact on vCOps ability to calculate more accurate reports (e.g. disk latency and load)?

We are using vCenter 4.1 U1.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VirtuvianMan
Contributor
Contributor

Not really! Modifying vCenter structure shouldn't affect vCOPs reporting ability. Let's say you were in #3 to begin with. vCOPs would have started fresh like any other day on reporting. Logically, that's how it would move-on tweaking the average settings with-in,

(However, am interested to know more on #2 and #3. Could you share what they are, please?)

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to clarify my question, if I'm using stats level 2 today, will changing to level 3 increase the accuracy or capabilities of the reports?

The idea in my mind is that vcops is only seeing the counters presented by vCenter.  We know that the higher level stats give more counters, thus vCOps may be able to give more accurate reports (or even monitor more "things").

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the exact stats a VCOps instance is collecting from a VC one are predefined.

So it won't get more data if you just provide more stats, as it doesn't know what to do/how to interpret them.

thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Stats Levels in vCenter define which stats get stored to the database.   vCenter Operations Manger queries the hosts directly, which bypasses vCenter's database entirely.   We get all stats from the host, so any new stats on the host will appear in the all metrics sections of the product. 

What additional stats or objects were you hoping to get information about? 

0 Kudos