VMware Cloud Community
Lost_Steak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disk Space "Over by" in Capacity Risk Details

Hi,

We have a vanilla install of vCenter Operations Manager 5.7.1 however there seems to be an issue the the "Disk Space" reporting in virtual machine capacity.

VCOM/VCOPS is reporting that we have 0 days of storage remaining, not only that but we are well over.

We have 428 VMs deployed in out environment, all of them thick provisioned. The total available capacity for the environment is 120TB (FC SAN). All VMs have their storage accounted for (i.e. there is no thin provisioning at all), however VCOM says that we are over by 345 VMs and that our capacity is only 83 VM. This is just rubbish.

Is there a setting or configuratoin item that i'm missing?

As mentioned this is a vanilla install with no modifications made and about 3 weeks worth of logging. we have not deployed any VMs since VCOM has been deployed.

Thanks,

-Tom

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bouke
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I cannot tell exactly why this is happening, perhaps there is somekind of container where calculation go wrong (most likely you are running this report on the World object???). However - you seem to have a semi large environment. You can change the policy a little bit to show better results (which did at our site).

Click at the "View Information" the "Change Default Policy Configuration". This should give you a pop-up. Go to point 3a, deselect "Disk Space -> Datastore, Containers" in the "by Allocation" column. The by Allocation column is more conservative. If both by Demand and by Allocation are selected the most restrictive will apply. Which is the Container at by Allocation selection. When checking on cluster level, this should be fine, but a rollup of multiple containers (host into clusters into datacenter into world) will generate 'wrong' results.

vcops_3a.png

Oh no, another Virtualisation signature...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bouke
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I cannot tell exactly why this is happening, perhaps there is somekind of container where calculation go wrong (most likely you are running this report on the World object???). However - you seem to have a semi large environment. You can change the policy a little bit to show better results (which did at our site).

Click at the "View Information" the "Change Default Policy Configuration". This should give you a pop-up. Go to point 3a, deselect "Disk Space -> Datastore, Containers" in the "by Allocation" column. The by Allocation column is more conservative. If both by Demand and by Allocation are selected the most restrictive will apply. Which is the Container at by Allocation selection. When checking on cluster level, this should be fine, but a rollup of multiple containers (host into clusters into datacenter into world) will generate 'wrong' results.

vcops_3a.png

Oh no, another Virtualisation signature...
0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

are your VM´s Disk files all on one Datastore?

Like VM1 --> Datastore 1

VM2 --> Datastore2

or like

VM1 Disk 1 --> Datastore1

VM1 Disk 2 --> Datastore2

VM2 Disk 1 --> Datastore 3

VM2 Disk 2 --> Datastore 4

etc.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

check this thread
False Capacity/IO Alerts?

you might be victim of a bug in the product, the fix is available thru support

0 Kudos
Lost_Steak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You were correct and the metrics were skewed on the container objects (vCenter, world, cluster, etc)

This resolved it for me in the planning tab views. The Dashboard still says I am way over, but i'll give it some time to update.

Thanks Bouke

0 Kudos