VMware Cloud Community
seamouse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deployment

I wonder if somebody can help    

We are a hosting provider and we have two datacenter's that are connected with 10GBPS dark fibre which is highly resilient The datacenter's are about six kilometres apart

Would it be possible to deploy an analytic node at each site with one being the primary and the other one (at the other site) being the ha node. We have a stretched vlan between the datacenter's

I have seen some documentation stating that analytic nodes have to be at the same datacenter with no more than 5ms latency however with our dark fibre we can easily accommodate this

Thanks in advance for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Analytics nodes should be on the same vlan in same location not only because of latency, but also because the very bad things that can happen to your cluster in a split brain scenario. VROPS HA doesn't handle split brain well, and depending how long it's split you could have a very difficult time getting it online in one piece. When you sit down and really think the use case through, stretching the cluster isn't going to give you anything above what keeping the cluster in one location would. I'd say play it safe, do what is supported,  and keep them in the same DC.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Analytics nodes should be on the same vlan in same location not only because of latency, but also because the very bad things that can happen to your cluster in a split brain scenario. VROPS HA doesn't handle split brain well, and depending how long it's split you could have a very difficult time getting it online in one piece. When you sit down and really think the use case through, stretching the cluster isn't going to give you anything above what keeping the cluster in one location would. I'd say play it safe, do what is supported,  and keep them in the same DC.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
seamouse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Brilliant just what I needed to know

0 Kudos