VMware Cloud Community
gaadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Datastores display as "Restricted"

Hi all,

Another datastore issue I'm afraid...

I have a large number of datastores that come up with their names as "Restricted". From the Environment view, I can see stats for the datastores, but when I try to go to their details view, I get the error: "No privileges for current object."

On the face of it, this looks like a permissions problem. But the user configured for VCops is a system-wide administrator.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Alex

0 Kudos
15 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
gaadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Gradinka,

I've had a read through both of those threads, and I'd say this is a different problem...

I did have the issue with no datastore information being collected at all, but that was resolved with the hotfix from VMware.

This looks to be a new issue.

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What hotfix was that?

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

there is a HF build available from support which fixes few issues that only some clients are hitting.

contact support for more info.

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks we raised a SR. We have 4 VC's across 2 vApps. Only 1 of the VC's has this problem

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
0 Kudos
gaadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so this isn't just a Datastore problem. I have the same issue with virtual machines, too.

I'm guessing this must be a permissions problem somewhere? I have connected to my vCenter with the local administrator account on the vCenter server though... I'm lost!

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Raise an SR with support and ask for the hotfix that will take you to build build 598005

gaadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Vodder,

I'm already on Build 598005, we had the issue before where we were getting no datastore metrics. I think this is something else...

Regards

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh yeah sorry, thought I was replying to a different thread! I'll crawl back into the corner! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please provide the diagnostics bundle.

0 Kudos
gaadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the bundle, thanks!

0 Kudos
gaadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I think I've resolved this issue.

As a last resort, I wondered if the system would come good if I reinitialised the database on the Analytics VM.

I went to the command line of the UI vm and ran a "vcops-admin -purge" command (after removing the configured connection to vCenter) and waited for it to complete.

Having added my vCenter back into vCops, it's all looking good now.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Does doing the "vcops-admin-purge" clear out the database.  If so, then this won't be a good solution for me as I did an upgrade from the old version of vcops and don't want to lose any historical data.

0 Kudos
gaadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately yes. All the data gets blown away...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the reply.  I had assumed that.  And that means it's not an option for me as my client doesn't want to lose any of their historical data from the upgrade that we did during the implementation of vcops 5.  Looks like I will log a support call and get the experts to figure it out.

Cheers

0 Kudos