VMware Cloud Community
Gaprofitt17
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dashboard with VM names and associated VLAN's

Hey All,

Need to create a dashboard with VM names and associated VLAN's..  How would I accomplish this? Running Vrops 6.4.  Security constantly asks me for this info at my job..

Thanks..

6 Replies
hank-ger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi. Are you looking for an overview with PortGroups from you DVswitch with the assosiated VM? Otherwise you can use PowerCLI for that list.

0 Kudos
pratt26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

‌You can create a custom .XML file in VROPs using vm properties. All the properties that can be used can be found

by going to HELP in VROPS (very nice list) and searching for "virtual machine properties". I have used IP address, VM name and uptime etc...to build

1) Create the custom XML file in VROPS (using the sample file as a reference for the format)

2) add a scoreboard widget to your dashboard

3) Change the scoreboard widget to point to the XML file you just created (in the dropdown)

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

This is one of my biggest complaints about vrops. It does the complicated things well but the simple things badly if not at all. At this point (6.4) and as far as i can tell you still cant report the object relationship between VM and port group.

The word to look for in my last statement is report. The relationship is there as you can see it in the environment view when you select the VM but you cant specifically add it to a VM list for instence. This was also the case until i think 6.4 with VM to datastore but that has now been added so i can see more of these relationships being added in the future as exposed metric/properties.

As for now your best bet is a script unless someone else know of a way to use vrops

0 Kudos
ChrisAdamsatl
Contributor
Contributor

I came out here to ask the exact same question.

Our networking team is asking us for a report of all our VMs and their associated VLANs so they can see if there are any old VLANs out there that they need to retire.  I found where I can get the VLAN information of the ESXi Host, but I can't for the life of me find how to get that information at a VM level.

I know we can get the info with a script, but I was hoping to add the VLAN info to our VM report that runs every week.

It seems really strange that VMware wouldn't have option in vROps.

I noticed this was originally posted back in 2017, so I figured I'd see if anyone found a way to provide this data since then.  We're currently running vROps 7.5 and about to upgrade to 8.0.

Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks!!

ShawnPD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

+1 ... we are trying to provide the exact same thing to a consumer!  Like you I cannot determine how to provide something simple that shows the vlan!  I have everything else on the primary object list (datacenter, host, datastore) but just cannot figure out how to even display the port group name!

If anyone has a clue on adding that info would be really appreciated!

0 Kudos
produban
Contributor
Contributor

There is no way to do this. it was answered on this thread why don't we see any details about standard switch in vROPS? by @daphnissov

A vmnic is a physical entity. A vSS (vSS is not a collectible object like a vDS is. vSS is a host-level item while vDS is a vCenter-level item) doesn't expose all the necessary points to monitor like a vDS does. Gotta remember license levels here and the greater feature sets available with vDS far outweigh vSS. A standard switch just isn't something vROps can look at.

0 Kudos