VMware Cloud Community
AEsansun2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cutomization of Vcenter Operations Manager

I customized an Application Overview Dashboard with 2 applications. Once is showing "health 69" , I do see in my helath tree that some of the member of the app have errors.

When I look at the errors, they are Badge/Waste. I do not want any other alerts other then Badge / Workload. I created a Policy which states to only notify of those alerts.

The default policy, i changed to have no alerts. But I still see these alerts.

Question is how to really turn off these alerts so they do not show up in my health tree AND should not affect my Health score in application overview.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Badges only impact health of Applications and tiers as they're anomalies in that respect. The custom UI doesn't care about the derived metrics (badges) and only cares about anomalies and KPI (mainly, with a couple exceptions) for vCenter adapter resources. This is why the Custom UI's vC Ops generated Health badge and badge|health attributes are different values! You can adjust the badge thresholds with the config policies and enable/disable alerts for each area. Waste is considered oversized VMs and idle/powered off VMs/template/snapshots.

For the health tree widget itself, you can't filter the alerts. Also the alerts aren't just badges, they're for anomalies in general.. which you can't control. Basically the alerts aren't going anywhere in your health tree related to anomalies, but you can in theory cut back on the badge alerts using config policy. For the badge, you can also uncheck the colored boxes to disable alert generation on color change, if you don't want alerts generated. Play around with it and find the right combination of what you need to see.. I'd suggest not shutting off all the oversized VM settings and instead simply edit the badge color thresholds and enabled/disabled alert settings.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.