VMware Cloud Community
jptevel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Custom metrics as instanced metrics

We have added mountpoint free space measurements to a Windows resource (in this particular case a Exchange server with the vROps agent installed via the Exchange management pack).

Currently we added it like CustomMetrics->Mountpoint-DB01->AllocGB,FreeGB,UsedPerc (three seperate metrics) and obviously we have several mountpoints (DB01, DB02, ..., LOGS01, LOGS02, ...).

We have created a symptom on one of these metrics (UsedPerc for Mountpoint-DB01) and have opted for the option "Evaluate on instanced metrics" but only the Mountpoint-DB01|UsedPerc for the four Exchange servers are being alerted on and not the rest.

How should we define custom metrics so they can be handled as instanced metrics?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jptevel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, found it myself by browsing the existing instanced metrics in vrops

Using a colon (:) instead of a bar (|) you define the name in between (after) the colon and before the next bar as an instance for the metric.

An example:

Instead of using the statKey CustomMetrics|Mountpoint-DB01|AllocGB we now use the statKey CustomMetrics:Mountpoint-DB01|AllocGB making Mountpoint-DB01 an instance.

Note: actually we moved the mountpoint instance into a sub branch using CustomMetrics|Mountpoints:Mountpoint-DB01|AllocGB but that's mainly cosmetics

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jptevel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also asked this directly at vmware ...

Because this is custom build they can and will not support it and refer me to my vrops partner/supplier.

0 Kudos
jptevel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, found it myself by browsing the existing instanced metrics in vrops

Using a colon (:) instead of a bar (|) you define the name in between (after) the colon and before the next bar as an instance for the metric.

An example:

Instead of using the statKey CustomMetrics|Mountpoint-DB01|AllocGB we now use the statKey CustomMetrics:Mountpoint-DB01|AllocGB making Mountpoint-DB01 an instance.

Note: actually we moved the mountpoint instance into a sub branch using CustomMetrics|Mountpoints:Mountpoint-DB01|AllocGB but that's mainly cosmetics

Tags (2)
0 Kudos