VMware Cloud Community
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Custom dashboard and reosurce detail

Hi all,

I have a little problem. I must create a dashboard to display some information about the vCloud orgs (CPU, Mem, ecc of the vApps inside the Org). I created everything you need, but when the user clicks on a tree or on a helath health status, can access details that should not see. How can I prevent this? Unfortunately one of these widgets I need to correctly handle some interactions.

Thank you.

Matrix

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You want to use the tag filters on the receiving widget to specifically INCLUDE what resource kinds you wish to see. This will eliminate the rec'ving widget from showing resources that you don't wish to appear.

If you want to get specific.. let us know the specific providing widget.... specific rec'ving widget... and what kind of data you want to see/filter on the receiving side.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mark.j,

my problem is this: a resources widget must populate an Healt Tree widget. When an end user open the dashboard and click on the first widget, the Health tree is populated with the correct informations. But if this users double click on an object on this second widget, he can see informations on vCenter, datastores, etc. that he must not see.

I have tried other ways, but in vCOPS, If I want to change the second widget with another Resource widget, for example, it shows all resources even if I have filtered it with tags (until the user click on the first widget).

For me is a problem because each users must see only the objects that I want.

Thank you.

Matrix

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Imagine the workflow of a dashboard as a chain. Each link of that chain is a widget. Links are joined together by interactions. When you swing one end of the chain, the rest follows. When you open a dashboard, you want to ensure the chain is taunt and all of the links are in-line, e.g. the visualizations are all in sync behind that first widget. That first widget is the beginning of your dashboard workflow, and is often in "self provider" mode.

Some widget types are better than other for the first widget in a workflow. Ideally, you want the first widget to have a default selection, which causes an interaction to be enforced and keep that chain taunt. I personally like the resource widget as a starting point, since you can tag filter it as much as you like, and it has the option "autoselect first row", which selects a resource and keep the interaction chain taunt.

The scenario you describe of widget filtering leads me to believe that you haven't set up tag filtering for all widgets on the dashboard. If you want to limit a point of view for a dashboard audience, all widgets in the dashboard need to have tag filtering configured appropriately.

What you describe is a pretty common request and we can usually accomplish the desired result. It takes a little time sometimes, but when you get your tag filtering strategy figured out everything else will fall in to place.

Mark

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mark.j,

thank you for your answer. I haven' VCOPS in front of me, but are you sure the Resource widget has the "autoselect first row" option? I remember no. This is why I have these issues.

Many thank you!

Matrix

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Oh, it's there Smiley Happy  I forget what exact version the option was added to the widget, but 5.8+ should have it.

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah... OK. I have 5.6... ;-((

thank you

Matrix

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What are you waiting for! 5.8.1 is a quick in-place upgrade and I suggest you do it. 5.6 was released in late 2012...

0 Kudos