VMware Cloud Community
tps5
Contributor
Contributor

Custom Email Template Fields

Does anyone know if when creating a custom template there is a way to include VM tags in the email? Looking through the email template fling and what i can find I don't see any, but I figured it's worth asking. I want to include a field that identifies the app that the alert is firing for. So if server A is alerting for disk space, I want the email alert to include server A and a custom field called Application A that identifies the application

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There isn't a way to include custom fields or tags in the template.  I haven't used the fling in a while, but I'm pretty sure it includes all the available email fields.

The way we've setup application based alerts is to create a custom group for each application.  You can use VM tags for the custom group criteria, so the group automatically includes all VMs with the application's tag.  Then we have a notification rule for each application that is scoped to the group's children (VMs) and has the application name in the rule's name/description.  The notification rule name and description are both fields you can include in the template.  This isn't ideal for a large number of applications since you would need a lot of groups and notification rules, but it's one way you might do it.

0 Kudos