VMware Cloud Community
Souad90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Control user's access to reports in vROPs

Hello,

I noticed that in vRealize operations Manager, we can say if we allow a user to visualize or not the page of Reports (Templates + generated ones), but I want to know if there is a way to show only few of them regarding the permissions of the user to the object which the report was generated on.

I also have a user that has the right to access an object ( a vCenter for example). By my account Admin, I generated a report on this vCenter. I logged in with my test user account, and I could not see the generated report, even that it was generated on a vCenter that I have access to, but it is not showing because it was generated by another user and the report is not shared.

Any idea? I hope I was clear. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unlike Dashboards, you cannot share Views and Reports. You can only export the template and import it to the user's account.

--
*** If you like my response, please click "Like" below, if you think I answered your question to the best of my abilities, please mark post as Correct Answer ***

3x vROps Environments implemented across my organization. VDI vROPs 8.4 ::: Epic vROPs 8.4 ::: Shared vROPs 7.0
vROPs Adapters in use: EpicCare & Horizon View Adapter 2.1

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So you are looking to both limit the report templates a user can see and run, but also allow them to see reports which were generated by another user?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
Souad90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, In fact, I want each user to see the generated reportes on his perimeter. Only reports related to his objects can be visible to him not all the reports. Do you get it ? The admin has access to everything, and If he generates a report on a cluster, this report should be visible to him and also to the user who has permission to work on the cluster.

0 Kudos
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That should be easy. All you have to do is grant the user (or the group that the user is a member) permission to a role that has full access to Report Management.

1. Select the role that user will have access to.

pastedImage_0.png

2. Click on the pencil icon to Edit the permissions of the role 'PowerUser' (in this example)

pastedImage_4.png

3. Ensure that all boxes are checked under 'Report Management' as shown below

pastedImage_6.png

4. Click OK

5. Navigate to the User Group tab or the User Account tab and assign that role (PowerUser role in this example) to the user or group

Let me know if this helps.

--
*** If you like my response, please click "Like" below, if you think I answered your question to the best of my abilities, please mark post as Correct Answer ***

3x vROps Environments implemented across my organization. VDI vROPs 8.4 ::: Epic vROPs 8.4 ::: Shared vROPs 7.0
0 Kudos
Souad90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

This will still show all the reports. It will not be based on the objects.

0 Kudos
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, it will show all the reports that they create. If you want the user to only see specific reports based on a particular object, you have to specify that when you assign the role to them under Groups or User Accounts as shown below.

1. Under User Accounts tab or Groups tab, you will click on the pencil icon to edit the specific user account or group.

pastedImage_2.png

2. Click on Objects > Select Role > PowerUser (for the example we are currently using)

pastedImage_3.png

3. Check Assign this role to the user > This is where you select the specific objects and  you want the user or group to have access to and to create reports based on those objects and descendants.

4. Click Finish and you're done.

Let me know if this helps.

--

0 Kudos
Souad90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, I did all what you said but the problem is I don't allow the users to create and generate reports themselves. The reports are planned and generated only by the admin. Once generated on a specefic object, only the admin can see it, but not the user, even that I have assigned that object to the user. it's complecated!

0 Kudos
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh, so I thought you wanted the user to generate their own reports on specific objects.

So do you want the user to see reports generated by admin and be able to run the reports?

You would have to share the reports to the users from the admin, if you want the user to see the report from the admin. But what exactly do you want the user to do?

--

0 Kudos
Souad90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh, so I thought you wanted the user to generate their own reports on specific objects.

No.

So do you want the user to see reports generated by admin and be able to run the reports?

I want the user to see reports generated by admin, but not to run them.

You would have to share the reports to the users from the admin, if you want the user to see the report from the admin. But what exactly do you want the user to do?

This is what I'm looking for to do: How to share a report. The user should just have the list of the generated reports on the objects of his parameters and download them.

0 Kudos
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unlike Dashboards, you cannot share Views and Reports. You can only export the template and import it to the user's account.

--

0 Kudos