VMware Cloud Community
bigdazza75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Confused on licensing options

Hi

We already have vSphere ESXi Enterprise on our hosts. I'm considering whether to upgrade these to add on vR Ops (either Standard or Advanced). I'm confused about the licensing so hoping someone can help me....

1. Can anyone point me to a URL that shows me what to purchase to upgrade from vSphere ESXi Enterprise to vSphere ESXi Enterprise plus vROps Standard?
  2. The same as (1) but "plus vROps Advanced"
  3. If I install the vROps trial, how can I tell which bts I wouldn't get if I just had vROps Standard?
  4. And if I can ONLY buy 25 VM packs for vROps Advanced, do I need to upgrade vSphere to vROps standard and THEN additionally buy 25 VM packs, or just buy vROps 25 VM packs.

Why do VMware make their licensing soooo horrendous, ambiguous and confusing?!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vSchroed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree the licensing is way too confusing. Most of the time when talking to VMware employees they don't seem to fully understand the licenses either. They have to consult the licensing gurus in order to figure things out. Now I am not an expert on licensing at all (nor do I strive to be) but here are some ideas to look into:

1) If you want vROPs Standard you could look into switching your licenses of vSphere Enterprise to vCloud Suite Standard. That will upgrade your ESXi licenses to vSphere Enterprise Plus, and bundle in vRealize Operations Standard and vRealize Automation Standard. There are also vCloud Suite Advanced and Enterprise editions to look at (all include Enterprise Plus). The details are outlined here:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vCloud-Suite-Pricing-Packaging-Whitepaper.pdf

2) Check out the link above, but look at the vCloud Suite Advanced Licensing.

3) Checkout this comparison of the features you get with each of the licensing models: Compare vCloud Suite Editions: Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) | United States

4) I'm not really sure what you are asking here. But based on the vCloud Suite licensing you shouldn't have to purchase vROPs separately. There is also vSOM which is vSphere with Operations management. But there is only Standard, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus editions available, and for some reason I am only seeing the prices in Euros, so it might not be available in the states.

vSOM Info:

Compare vSOM Editions Capacity Planning, Performance Monitoring | United States

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsphere/VMware-vSphere-Pricing-Whitepaper.pdf

Again I am the not an expert on VMware licensing, especially since I never deal with the budgets! So you might want to talk to a VMware Sales person or 3rd party reseller to get more specific licensing and pricing information.

Hopefully that helps give you a starting point though.

Cheers!

Jeff

0 Kudos