VMware Cloud Community
TomHaskell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Capacity Planning: How to configure thresholds and setup alets for specific metric

Hello All,

I need some help/suggestions to configure thresholds and alerts for storage metrics.

What I am trying to do?

1. Create a threshold for EMC adapter attributes such as Read IOs, Write IOs

2. Alert if the value goes below or above the configured threshold

What I have done so far?

1. Created a new attribute packages on vcops-custom page

vcops panel -> environment -> configuration -> atribute packages

Attribute Properties are as follows.

Attribute Package Name: EMC Storage Processor

Adapter Kind: EMC Adapter

Resource Kind: Storage Processor

Attributes configured on the Storage Processor

Disk: Writes (IO/s)

Settings chosen are attached as a screenshot.

Question:

Could somebody help me answer following questions?

As I am not getting any alerts currently, I think I am missing some configurations,

could you please show me the way to get alerts for the specified thresholds?

By the way the thresholds setup in the screenshot is for testing purposes.

Please show me the way.

BR,

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bouke
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I see you've asked question 1 in a separate thread, How to export (if possible) information from vCOPS - good, check that answer (hope that is fine).

Question 2: No unfortunately not - it will not automatically send mail. You've found where you can configure the SMTP server in the UIs. The one on the admin page will only work for sending reports and alerts triggered on the vcops-vsphere ui. For alerting from the vcops-custom ui you'll need to setup filtering with the 'filter_alertplugin'. This means you need to configure an xml file, found on the analytics vm: /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/user/plugins/outbound/filter_alertplugin/conf/emailFilter.xml

This can be tricky and posting in the forum would mean a complete manual. You can check how to configure this file in the manual from page 82 in this document: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcops-57-custom-ui-admin-guide.pdf

Cheers!

Oh no, another Virtualisation signature...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bouke
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Creating a new attribute package wouldn't be the best approach I think. That means you would need to replace the current package with your new one on every resource this package would apply to and you'll need to set your configuration so it picks that package with new resources of that kind.

What I think you should do is reconfigure your current attribute package being used by a resource kind. Follow this step-by-step:

First you'll need to find out your current defaults, so you'll know which adapter package you need to change. If you already know this one, you can skip this step:

"Environment -> Configuration -> Resource kind defaults..."

From the "Adapter Kind" select your adapter (I guess some kind of EMC adapter) and select the resource on the left 'Name' column.

If 'Attribute package' is empty, it might be that there is some kind of backdoor relation (most likely it is pushed from the 'Adapter Instance'). This would be the interface where you set your new attribute package for new resources of this kind by the way. This doesn't change the adapter package for your current resources though - just newly created resources ('discovered' by your EMC adapter).

Anyway, if "Attribute package" is "--None--" you can also find the current selected package by going to "Environment -> Environment Overview", select one of your resources, click the edit resource (pencil icon), and check the "Attribute package" value.

From there you can edit the package. Document your steps off course, since you're changing a package.

Now if you would like to use your new attribute package anyway - you should configure your existing resources with that package. Use the filter (on the "Environment -> environment overview" page) to only display the resource kind this package would apply to (on the left, click "Resource Kinds", click the desired kind). Click the first resource, shift click the last - click the 'Edit Resource' (pencil), change the "Attribute package" to yours, and select the checkbox. Click "OK" and you're done.

Have fun and good luck with changing your resources using fixed thresholds (why on earth would you do that Smiley Wink ). Oh and by the way, from the screenshots I noted your sample interval is set to 1 minute. Please, please, please be aware this adds 5 times more values to your database, not only that - VCOPS needs to process 5 times more metrics to calculate the dynamic thresholds and all other fancy stuff VCOPS does. It might generate a lot of stress, just so you're aware...

TomHaskell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Bouke,

Thank you for your time and useful advice.

I have few questions and feedbacks to your advice now.

1. "What I think you should do is reconfigure your current attribute package being used by a resource kind. Follow this step-by-step:"

Sure.

Question:

Before changing the current attribute (default attributes and all attributes), is there a way to confirm default threshold values for specific metrices on an adapter such as  EMC adapater?

Because when I dig into the default attribute for example, I can see that some of the metrices are enabled to be alerted, but the threshold values are all empty.

However, the alerts are being generated on the vops-custom UI. Where can I see those default threshold values for the metrics?

2. "Have fun and good luck with changing your resources using fixed thresholds (why on earth would you do that Smiley Wink ). Oh and by the way, from the screenshots I noted your sample interval is set to 1 minute. Please, please, please be aware this adds 5 times more values to your database, not only that - VCOPS needs to process 5 times more metrics to calculate the dynamic thresholds and all other fancy stuff VCOPS does. It might generate a lot of stress, just so you're aware..."

It was only for the testing purpose so that I can get the alert right away. But took your advice and changed it to some bigger time interval.

Additional Question:

As soon as I setup/enable Outbound Alert Setup (Alert Type = Email) on vcops-custom UI and SMTP on vcops-admin UI, will the email alerts start coming to the inbox automatically?

If yes, where will I get the email alerts as I do not see any place in vcops-custom UI and vcops-admin UI to specify the email addresses.

Much appreciated.

BR,

Tom

0 Kudos
bouke
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I see you've asked question 1 in a separate thread, How to export (if possible) information from vCOPS - good, check that answer (hope that is fine).

Question 2: No unfortunately not - it will not automatically send mail. You've found where you can configure the SMTP server in the UIs. The one on the admin page will only work for sending reports and alerts triggered on the vcops-vsphere ui. For alerting from the vcops-custom ui you'll need to setup filtering with the 'filter_alertplugin'. This means you need to configure an xml file, found on the analytics vm: /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/user/plugins/outbound/filter_alertplugin/conf/emailFilter.xml

This can be tricky and posting in the forum would mean a complete manual. You can check how to configure this file in the manual from page 82 in this document: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcops-57-custom-ui-admin-guide.pdf

Cheers!

0 Kudos
TomHaskell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Appreciate it bouke!

By the way, do you happen to know the polling time for the vcops agent to pick up performance data?

Is it every 20 secs or less than that?

0 Kudos
bouke
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Every 5 minutes and it is gathering the in-memory real-time statistics from vCenter using the standard API.

TomHaskell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks bouke. Your answer was very helpful.

I opened a separate thread for vsphere information polling here -> Data collection/polling intervals

Would you mind giving me a right direction once again?

Tom

0 Kudos