VMware Cloud Community
ADIS
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot get to use custom email template on vRoPs 8.5

Hello everyone,

I'm evaluating vRoPs 8.5 and I'm trying to setup a specific mail alert for when someone edit a VM configuration, I already managed to get an email when it happens but the default email template does not provide the username of the person who did it and I need this information.

Here is what I've done so far :

Custom alert definition where I catch event message matching "Config Info" string, alert is set to type "Virtualization/Hypervisor" and subtype "Configuration"

ADIS_0-1632923481000.png

I have a SMTP outbound set and tested, it works:

ADIS_1-1632924022565.png

Then I used this fling (https://flings.vmware.com/vrealize-operations-email-template-manager) to create my custom email template which is defined as below :

ADIS_2-1632924235345.png

So it's supposed to match with the alert type and subtype that I've set on my custom alarm, but I don't receive any mail with all this configuration, am I missing something ? Is this method not working anymore on version 8.5.0 ?

Thank you for your help !

Best regards,

Frederick

0 Kudos
5 Replies
snakhuda1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ADIS,

Thanks for sharing this issue. My team is also relying on the custom email template.

I am sure you must have already verified alert criticality in notification settings to ensure warning is enabled, correct?

0 Kudos
ADIS
Contributor
Contributor

Hello snakhuda1,

I tried with and without notification set, I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to use it or not as it was not mentionned in the article that I read for this setup.

Here are my notification parameters :

ADIS_0-1632985675439.png

As you can see I'm enabling notification on the same object type and alert type/subtype as defined in my custom email template, I also tried to set it directly to my custom alert definition, none works..

Outbound method :

ADIS_1-1632985873521.png

Payoad template :

ADIS_2-1632985949315.png

I feel like I should be able to choose my template here but there is only the default template available.

0 Kudos
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vROPS doesn't tell you who did it.  For any changes to any VM period use my log insight dashboard. 

http://www.vmignite.com/2021/08/log-insight-vm-monitoring-dashboard-download/

Personal blog VMignite.com
0 Kudos
ADIS
Contributor
Contributor

Hello 

Thank you for your reply, it's such a shame that vROPS can't provide this information 😞 I have another method to be alerted via mail with a username directly visible (vcenter alert with a custom script using alert env variables)

Yet I would like to understand why I don't receive mail with the custom template with the configuration I have set up, any idea ?

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

This is one of the things i have been asking to be added for years now. Knowing that an event happened is great and all but knowing who made the change is more important. Having to jump into log insight is a pain. They should add in a data import function from log insight into vrops. 

0 Kudos