VMware Cloud Community
miguelvelezwhit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can vROPS monitor multiple vCenters

Please forgive this noob question.  I've been trying to become better versed in using vROPS, but one question keeps banging at my head.  With version 6.5 of vSphere now being able to vMotion between vCenters, I wondered what other types of vCenter interaction can now take place.

Can an insrtance of vROPS (and also Log Insight) cover multiple vCenters, or does it have to be a one-to-one relationship as in VMware Update Manager?  We've been working with nesting VCSAs inside of one vCenter.  It works in terms of accessing the VCSAs and it works regarding the appliances being in one vCenter.  But I'd really like to be able to do that and have vROPS look at the whole environment - giving me a true "one pane of glass" to monitor and troubleshoot more proactively.  Can this be done?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

As the others have said you can monitor more than one vcenter ( i currently monitor 4 vcenters with one vrops instance) one thing to conciser is to use remote collectors even if the vrops is installed in the same location as the vcenters. Then create a new collector group and when configuring the vcenter adapter point all of them at the new collector group. This frees up the data/analytics nodes from the over head of the collections.

Log insight again can be configured for many vcenters but all that enables is the auto configuration of the log insight IP address into each ESXi host syslog settings connected the the vcenters. This saves you having to script it yourself. Log insight will treat the vcenter just like any other syslog enabled end point.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kpitt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vROps can monitor multiple vCenters, but there are some best practices you might want to reference the documentation for. An example would be any remote sites would require the use of a Remote Collector. To monitor multiple vCenters, you simply just create an additional adapter instance and point it to a new vCenter. One adapter instance per vCenter server.

Log Insight on the other hand, if I recall correctly you must have a LI installation per vCenter.

-K

0 Kudos
Kaustubhambulka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can have one vROPS managing multiple vCenters. but each vCenter will have its own Update manager.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

As the others have said you can monitor more than one vcenter ( i currently monitor 4 vcenters with one vrops instance) one thing to conciser is to use remote collectors even if the vrops is installed in the same location as the vcenters. Then create a new collector group and when configuring the vcenter adapter point all of them at the new collector group. This frees up the data/analytics nodes from the over head of the collections.

Log insight again can be configured for many vcenters but all that enables is the auto configuration of the log insight IP address into each ESXi host syslog settings connected the the vcenters. This saves you having to script it yourself. Log insight will treat the vcenter just like any other syslog enabled end point.

0 Kudos
miguelvelezwhit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I want to say thank you to:

Kaustubhambulkar,
Kpitt, and
sxnxr

You all pointed me in great directions.  Not only am I more encouraged, but you all have given me ideas on how to improve the concept.  I can't wait to get started.  If you're ever in Thomasville, GA, look me up because you all deserve a steak and lobster dinner with much drinking afterwards *LOL*

Thanks again,
Miguel

0 Kudos