VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can a single vCops vApp manage a vCops Std cluster and a vCops Enterprise cluster?

Looking to design a vSphere Management Cluster using vCloud Suite Std (vCops Std) and a Production Cluster using vCloud Suite Enterprise (vCops Ent).   If I connect the vCops to the vCenter that is managing both of these vCops licenses,  is vCops smart enough to enable the correct licensing for each cluster based on how I assign the licensing?

The reason I want to do this is because I do not want to waste vCloud Suite Ent licensing on a vSphere Management cluster,  but still want vCops Std to manage the infrastructure VMs in that cluster.

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

vCOps can only utilize 1 license key at a time, thus it will only be operating in a single edition at any given time.

If you want to have 2 different licensed deployments, you'll need 2 different vCOps deployments registered to the same vCenter. You'll need 2 vCOps keys - 1 for vCOps STD and 1 for vCOps Ent. One vCOps appliance will have access to/collect from the resources for STD, the other for the ENT resources. License would be assigned to each appropriate vCOps deployment. You'd need to have one vCOps appliance (last registered) configured as the extension within vCenter for web client functionality.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

vCOps can only utilize 1 license key at a time, thus it will only be operating in a single edition at any given time.

If you want to have 2 different licensed deployments, you'll need 2 different vCOps deployments registered to the same vCenter. You'll need 2 vCOps keys - 1 for vCOps STD and 1 for vCOps Ent. One vCOps appliance will have access to/collect from the resources for STD, the other for the ENT resources. License would be assigned to each appropriate vCOps deployment. You'd need to have one vCOps appliance (last registered) configured as the extension within vCenter for web client functionality.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mark,

The last point about registering only one vCops in the web client,  will this limit the vCops instance that doesn't get registered or is this just so the vCops extensions are visisble in the Web Client regardless of instance or version?

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The last vCOps appliance to register with vCenter will be the active extension within vCenter, and thus the vCOps instance that is visible in the Web Client. This has no impact to the collection, it is just which vCOps instance is visible in the Web Client.

MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Does vCops suite licensing honor the associated licensing on the hosts or do I need to limit permissions so that it doesn't have access to the clusters that it shouldn't monitor (like I had to do when I used per VM licensing)?

For example:

• vCenter1
  • Cluster 1 - vCloud Suite Std
  • Cluster 2 - vCloud Suite Ent
  • vCops Std vApp pointing to vCenter1
  • vCops Ent vApp pointing to vCenter1

Would this require me to setup special perms or will it just honor the per CPU Cloud Suite licensing and disable the features automatically?

Also,  this config will lead to two separate instances of vCops polling vCenter for data every 5 minutes.   Could this be a bottleneck concern?   Would it make more sense to separate the environments into 2 unique vCenters based on licensing?

Thanks,

-MattG

0 Kudos