VMware Cloud Community
dkelch
Contributor
Contributor

Can VCops limit access to resources by userid?

We are trying to create different userids which would limit the scope of VCops to specific resources as one woudl do for a tenant of a cloud.  Thus far it seems all or none.  We can create userids and groups, and limit what can be done, but we can't seem to limit access to specific resources in the cloud.  I've looked through the docsa, and can't seem to find anything one way or another on this.  We are currently using advanced, but we're in the process of installing Enterprise.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MauricioMoya_So
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Enter

Im using vCenter operations Enterprise.

I have similar questions.
There is a way to create dashboards with limited metric selections (select the metric to show) in the METRIC SELECTOR widget? with no stop collecting the other metrics.

And I made dashboards to diferent users with a combinations of RESOURCES widget. One it's configured like "Self provider" and i select an organization. Then i have 2 other configured as a tree of this one. Then in the first I see the organization vDc in the second I see the vApp's and in the third the VM's. Im trying to copy the arquitecture of director. But the issue is that when i login to operations, the dashboard get update the 2 last RESOURCE and appears ALL the resources of all de vCenter that im collectiong and i have to select again the vDC that i want to see, then the vApp refresh and then select the vApp and the VM's refresh.

Best regard,

~Mauricio

0 Kudos
MauricioMoya_So
Contributor
Contributor

I found this kb:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201171...

But the sample.xml doesn't work with the METRIC GRAPH and the db url doesn't acces.

Why?

I'm using vCenenter operations v5.0.1

Best Regards,

~Mauricio

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Access control, afaik, is a yes/no scenario.  You can grant access to the /vsphere website, but once inside ... there is no internal access control to view only a subset of what is there.

In the /custom UI, I think most widget should be configurable to show specific resources ... but I haven't gone really in depth with them to know for sure.

0 Kudos
MauricioMoya_So
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm have try to change the information on the sample.xml of the METRIC GRAPCH to show the metric that i want. But realy I dont know what information use to edit it.

The directory of the sample.xml in vcops 5.0.1 is usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tomcat-enterprise/webapps/vcops-custom/WEB-INF/classes/resources/reskndmetrics/sample.xml.

I need to know:

• adapterKindId and the adapterKindKey for the VMware adapter
  • resourcesKindId and resourcesKindKey for the Virtual Machine kind resource
  • And the attrkeyId and attrkey for some specifics metrics.

Just i need to know where to get the information. Now i find that in the vcops-custom url I can get the attrkeyId and the resourceKindId but the other dont know.

Regads,

0 Kudos