VMware Cloud Community
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Bring back the host What-Ifs!

My biggest gripe of the 6.7 changes is the removal of the various host scenarios you could build in the What-Ifs Projects.  I get how VMware wants to move to a consumption model and the What-Ifs in 6.7 are geared toward consumers....  But losing the host stuff makes it a LOT harder for host infrastructure people to plan for host adds/removes/changes.  Bring it back!!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I think these are going to be reintroduced in the next version, but no more specifics other than that.

0 Kudos
paurgie
Contributor
Contributor

As I see it, this is a straight up betrayal.  One of the specific reasons we bought vROPs a few months ago was the intention of using it to help right size our upgrades.  The timing of our purchase was to be sure that we had ample run time before we had to finalize the order that we're building right now.  Now we find out just after our last 6.6 upgrade backup rolled off that we lose one of the highly touted features that was going to give us some ROI on the product.

I think the RVP of sales that was trying to pressure us about needing to finish the expansion of our licenses to cover the other half of our environment may be getting an unpleasant phone call if we can't find a way to get this back ASAP.  Seriously, removing core features, especially on a simple point release, is beyond shady.  I wonder if we get a comp with professional services to do the analysis since we can't do it ourselves when we need to now.

0 Kudos
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Maybe it was not the brightest of ideals to upgrade vrops to a later version as you were midway through. Can you not just rollback to a snapshot or backup and do you not have a dev/test environment you tested this on first ?

0 Kudos
paurgie
Contributor
Contributor

This was a point release, there should be no major feature removals.  For that matter, major feature additions generally aren't supposed to be in there either, but no one complains about those.

We do have a lab, but we don't run through a full feature set comparison in there, we make sure the upgrade path is sound and the product is still functional in there before we move to prod.  Testing every feature to make sure it's still there would be extremely intensive... for a point release... in order to catch one of the cornerstone features of the product being removed.

In production, we didn't find out it was missing until just over a week past our upgrade.  There was a snapshot for the process of the upgrade, but only for a day or so to make sure all the plugins were working and no longer, given the size of the database and I/O profile of the application.  While we still had an offline backup at that point, we would have lost a week of whatever changes we've made to the system, system adds/deletes, and whatever changes our users have made to their monitoring environments.  All that considered, rolling back is not really feasible.  Support basically said "just spin up another instance for forecasting at 6.6" which is the route we took.  While our numbers are going to be general at best with only a couple of weeks or so of runtime, it's better than not having anything.

0 Kudos